Fiamma T45 Awning Repair

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

GrahamL
80-90 Mem No: 12887

Fiamma T45 Awning Repair

Post by GrahamL »

Hi,
This summer our Fiamma (T45) awning took some stick particularly while in Italy; when away from the van a horrendous storm filled the extended awning and twisted an already not particularly straight backplate.
I am considering taking down and taking apart the awning with the idea of trying to straighten the main aluminuim extruded backplate.
Has anyone attempted this and any advice will be appreciated.
Worst case scenario is to replace this backplate with new, depending on the cost.
Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-5 Aero Sportswagon

cassandra
80-90 Mem No: 15531

Re: Fiamma T45 Awning Repair

Post by cassandra »

Hi, it is possible to straighten a slight bend in the back plate, I have done it in the past but aluminium is a pig to work with as once bent it tends to crack when you try to straighten it. It is definitely worth a try but it may be beyond help. Fiamma parts are horrendously expensive so maybe have a look on ebay for an awning being sold for spares as quite often it is the legs or the fabric that give up and insurance companies just say 'fit a new awning'. The back plate is just a plain extrusion so if you find one that is too long it can be cut down to suit if that helps.

Hope this helps.
1981 Eurec Cassandra 2.0 CU RHD!
BMW R Nine T Scrambler.
ETC

GrahamL
80-90 Mem No: 12887

Re: Fiamma T45 Awning Repair

Post by GrahamL »

Thanks Cassandra,
I"ll have a look this winter; the twist is only slight, but may be the reason why the awaning has a significant rattle now.
Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-5 Aero Sportswagon