Broken down!!!!!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Broken down!!!!!

Post by PeteandNikki »

This is s long shot!!

All packed up and ready to drive to Plymouth for a 3.00 pm crossing to Roscoff, only made it 10 miles down the road and Murphy's law gets us.

We have a1984 1,9dg and the hose connection on the main flow to the radiator at the plastic bleed/by pass assembly in the engine bay has snapped off. No chance of getting another today so we've re-booked ferry for tomorrow.

My question is. Can I do away with this assembly temporarily and cobble the main rad flow and returns with some steel connections and blank the smaller bleed/ by-pass hoses?

PeteandNikki

Re: Broken down!!!!!

Post by PeteandNikki »

Just looked again and I'm guessing that this isn't a by-pass but a 3-point bleed valve for the heater matrix and main rad.should be an easy cobble -up!

If any body reads this and needs to correct me or can help in any way I'd be grateful for any input before midnight tonight!

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Only just seen this, but join the bottom pipe from the two to the one from the metal pipe that runs from the engine and blank the other one ..... All will be well..... We have one that been running like that for 4 years . That silly bleed valve isn't needed and doesn't work anyway . It was redesigned by VW about a year after they first used it because it was crap......
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

In ten years I've never been able to do ANY bleeding from that thing. Mine hasn't cracked/snapped yet but when it does, its going! For all the good it does you might just as well massage the hose and get any trapped air out that way.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

I don't think anything is supposed to come out of the bleed screw - it's a valve that opens or closes the passageway that links the top and bottom hoses and the bleed pipe to the metal pipe over the engine. As far as I can tell from disassembling my slightly damaged spare here, the bottom hose and the bleed pipe are always connected, but with the valve opened the top hose is linked in too. I guess this is supposed to make it easier to dispel air from the top hose, and should be closed under normal running so that there isn't a short cut for the radiator circuit.

"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Argh but that is the "late early" system
I think the op meant the "early early" Image

Sent from my TV remote via tapatalk
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Mocki wrote: I think the op meant the "early early"

Ah, now I understand your earlier post.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

PeteandNikki

Post by PeteandNikki »

Thanks for the replies.

Chopped the lot out and replaced with some sections of stainless tube I had kicking around. Followed Mr Baxters old wiki advice on bleeding the system and its all sorted.

I guess that the fact that for the 1st 20 yrs of my working life I was a plumbing and heating engineer was a bit of help as basically that's what it was-a plumbing problem!

Any way I'm posting this whilst drinking a glass of fine French red sitting in the evening sun at my sister's place in rural Brittany so I can report that it' was a success.
Leaving for Spain on Wednesday.