Multivan bed in caravelle

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

xdelboyx
80-90 Mem No: 0

Multivan bed in caravelle

Post by xdelboyx »

Hi guys,
I know the multivan bed is slightly narrower but I am buying one from a member on here.
Any pointers on how I go about fitting it into my lovely velle?
Many thanks.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Multivan bed in caravelle

Post by multisi »

Are you getting the backrest lock pin brackets with the seat bed.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

xdelboyx

Post by xdelboyx »

multisi wrote:Are you getting the backrest lock pin brackets with the seat bed.
Yes it comes with all the original fittings.

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

All the bolt holes should already be there - the important thing is that you have the correct locking pins (for the rear seat rest). If they're too short to reach the seat, then they're the wrong ones. You'll also have gaps at either side, but it sounds like you know that already.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

xdelboyx

Post by xdelboyx »

tforturton wrote:All the bolt holes should already be there - the important thing is that you have the correct locking pins (for the rear seat rest). If they're too short to reach the seat, then they're the wrong ones. You'll also have gaps at either side, but it sounds like you know that already.
Cool thanks man I was hoping it was a bolt in affair.

multisi

Post by multisi »

tforturton wrote:All the bolt holes should already be there - the important thing is that you have the correct locking pins (for the rear seat rest). If they're too short to reach the seat, then they're the wrong ones. You'll also have gaps at either side, but it sounds like you know that already.
Only the bolt holes for the rock and roll mechanism are there. The back rest lock pin set up is not in place for a multivan seat/bed. There are three set ups for seats or rock and roll beds. The one you have is standard minibus/caravelle. Another for full width rock and roll and for multivan width there is another. The back rest lock pin brackets are welded in to the side of the van just below the window. Take the original trim cards off and have a look you will see the bracket your 3 seater lock pin goes into, you need another one of those and a bracket to bring the lock pin closer to the multivan seat/bed. Do you have these brackets and pins ?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

xdelboyx

Post by xdelboyx »

It does come with all the fixings and I can see in the image it has some square box looking things with threads for the pins to screw into I am hoping these are the spacers for the pins

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

I think what the past above is trying to tell you is that the locating pond for the back rest screw into a black Bracket which is welded into the body, you'll l probably not be getting those with the bed. You'll need to buy some 3mm strip about 45 mm wide and weld some captive nuts to it and tack it into position. Be very careful about getting positron correct. I did it then i fitted rest of interior and seat wouldn't go back far enough. It's really easy to do, it just needs to be in correct place
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

multisi

Post by multisi »

xdelboyx wrote:It does come with all the fixings and I can see in the image it has some square box looking things with threads for the pins to screw into I am hoping these are the spacers for the pins
Those square box things,you should have 4 are for the rnr mechanism, they screw into the side of the van. Then the mechanism bolts onto the square brackets. I can give you measurements for the backrest pin brackets and a photo .

xdelboyx

Post by xdelboyx »

multisi wrote:
xdelboyx wrote:It does come with all the fixings and I can see in the image it has some square box looking things with threads for the pins to screw into I am hoping these are the spacers for the pins
Those square box things,you should have 4 are for the rnr mechanism, they screw into the side of the van. Then the mechanism bolts onto the square brackets. I can give you measurements for the backrest pin brackets and a photo .
That would be great if you could thanks.
I really don't wanna f@ck it up.
As it is a caravelle I already have some backrest brackets in place with the pins already I know the other bed is narrower but will these not be usable if they were extended?

xdelboyx

Post by xdelboyx »

multisi wrote:
Only the bolt holes for the rock and roll mechanism are there. The back rest lock pin set up is not in place for a multivan seat/bed. There are three set ups for seats or rock and roll beds. The one you have is standard minibus/caravelle. Another for full width rock and roll and for multivan width there is another. The back rest lock pin brackets are welded in to the side of the van just below the window. Take the original trim cards off and have a look you will see the bracket your 3 seater lock pin goes into, you need another one of those and a bracket to bring the lock pin closer to the multivan seat/bed. Do you have these brackets and pins ?

I am guessing it does not have those brackets or pins but I will ask when I pick it up.
I am buying it from vanagonvanagon on here aka frank.
A friend has dealt with him a few times and he is a good guy I believe

xdelboyx

Post by xdelboyx »

Multisi

Any help and measurements etc would be fantastic.
I have access to a welder and my dad (retired) was a welder fabricator his whole life so he will be enlisted 8)

multisi

Post by multisi »

Plastic side removedImage

multisi

Post by multisi »

Removed bed and plastic side on my factory multivan to show you bracket set up. The measurements are sliding door side, C post edge to pin centre 615 mm. Boot floor with factory sound proofing to pin centre 372 mm. Other side B post to pin centre 1765 mm . The middle bracket the pin goes in is 21 mm deep, 32 mm high and 80 mm long. If you have factory window van with seat pin bracket the multivan pin centre is 80 mm forward of caravelle seat pin centre.

xdelboyx

Post by xdelboyx »

multisi wrote:Removed bed and plastic side on my factory multivan to show you bracket set up. The measurements are sliding door side, C post edge to pin centre 615 mm. Boot floor with factory sound proofing to pin centre 372 mm. Other side B post to pin centre 1765 mm . The middle bracket the pin goes in is 21 mm deep, 32 mm high and 80 mm long. If you have factory window van with seat pin bracket the multivan pin centre is 80 mm forward of caravelle seat pin centre.
Wow I hope you didn't do all that just to show me these I feel guilty now!
Many thanks multisi that's awesome thank you
I do have a caravelle so I should just move the pin forward towards the windscreen 80mm?