Not starting

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HeloEngineer
80-90 Mem No: 0

Not starting

Post by HeloEngineer »

A break down of my fault. I have spent all afternoon with my van and have managed to start is only once. I let it run for a good ten minutes, I turned it off and cannot get it to start again.

Turn ignition on.
Power to and from coil.
Turn key to start engine.
Engine will crank, but lose power from coil.
Turn key back and power returns.
Turn key to off position and obviously power at coil is zero.

I have changed the plugs as that's all the shop had. I have ordered a new coil and that arrives tomorrow.

However something is telling me the starter motor is pulling all the power. Also a few times the starter hasn't engaged correctly.

When I remove a plug I get one spark and that's it.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or further has advice please?

Thanks

HeloEngineer
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Not starting

Post by HeloEngineer »

Another morning spent with my camper.

Traced it to a faulty ignition switch, which I fitted this time last year from Just Kampers. Took it to bits and fixed it. Used my van probably twice since fitting it originally.

Crap part!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Why anyone will buy from Just Krappers out of choice after all the warnings on the forum is beyond me. :shock:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

JK is obviously best known as a VW parts supplier. I guess people like me bought stuff from them, when we had a T2 and before we came onto this forum. Also most people do not read the forum all the time, so they miss out on crucial tips like only buy from JK as a last resort.

weegaz22
80-90 Mem No: 15325

Post by weegaz22 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Why anyone will buy from Just Krappers out of choice after all the warnings on the forum is beyond me. :shock:

If your new to VW's like i am and read some of the camper mags over the years then you know JK is one of the well advertised parts suppliers in those mags, their website has a decent layout and is easy to manage finding bits on for a person new to the vw camper/Aircooled scene, I was quite surprised when people told me on here to stay away from them.

not all of us have years under our belts fixing slow rusty bus's, some of us were spending it fixing fast rusty cars :rofl

and lets face it, i don't see any stickies anywhere saying "welcome to the forum and VW's, stay away from JK", that general feeling/resentment may be buried in threads going back years, which isn't really apparent to new owners of the camper/bus/beetle.
1989 LHD Westfalia Multivan 1.9TD AAZ

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Not everything JK sell is below standard. Neither does it make sense to buy all your parts from one place. I still use VW themselves for some stuff.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

mr_nunn
80-90 Mem No: 14273

Post by mr_nunn »

To be fair i can't fault jk in the several times I've used them: found them to have a good website, good prices, quick delivery, easy returns. The product reviews can help warn you off certain poor quality parts; I'm sure a lot of what they sell is same as you'd get elsewhere..just have to judge on the individual purchase.

Thing is people don't usually come on a forum to say "my purchase was uneventful and my product is fine"!

Also used Brickwerks (v good service too) and others when i thought the quality/price trade off would be better.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
1981 2.0L CU Westfalia pop-top