Where are the Aircooled engine experts in the South?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johnnyB
80-90 Mem No: 0

Where are the Aircooled engine experts in the South?

Post by johnnyB »

... Don't seem able to locate anyone with some knowledge of Aircooled T25 engines in my area, I've got an engine leak problem that I've been pulling my hair out over & would love to speak to someone that knows their way around this engine and any advise re: taking engine out etc...
1982 2.0l Aircooled pop-top auto

Mk2Tony
80-90 Mem No: 13793

Re: Where are the Aircooled engine experts in the South?

Post by Mk2Tony »

I'm by no means an expert but I have had the engine out of mine a few times with no real prior knowledge of these engines for a few different jobs. Do you know where the leak is coming from there's not much on these engines they are pretty simple to work on. I'm planning on rebuilding my engine this winter now I have a garage to do it in, and like I say I have no real experience in Aircooled stuff. I'm sure you could get plenty of help and advice from the guys on here too.

Tony
T25 2L Aircooled Devon Moonraker 1981 "General Custard"

Tony, Rox & Pixie

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

An oil leak on an air-cooled engine is normally going to be:

1) Rocker cover gaskets
2) Oil cooler
3) Crankcase oil seal
4) Loose oil filter or filler neck

Where do you think the leak is?
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

Also
Oil pressure switch
Mechanical fuel pump

(from experience)
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

You missed one of the most common leaks - pushrod tube seals!
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

D o h !
Last edited by BOXY on 31 Mar 2016, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

If you feel the need to contact someone & you can get your bus to Welling, give James Wotton a call at Vee Dub Performance. Knows air cooled's really well and there's a lot of positive reviews on the net. He's also mentioned in the recent edition of Hayburner for a splitty he helped get sorted:

http://www.veedubperformance.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 DG, Weber Carb

johnnyB
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by johnnyB »

Hi Guys, thanks for getting back to me regarding this...

After sorting a 'miss' problem & getting new oil/air/fuel filters, leads, rotor arm/dissy cap & tune etc. I thought I'd tackle 'that oil leak' out...

I first took out the leaking mech fuel pump & blanked off, with proper blank & gasket (shortened rod) - cleaned things up a bit more & then took off rocker covers, took out push rod tubes & rods - 16 new o'rings & 2x new rocker cover gaskets and a good clean-up later I was hoping I'd sorted it - but whilst laying under the running engine I could see oil weeping around the black plate that sits under the heads above the push rod tubes (near side) - leaking onto over the clean tubes :{ Not being able to get to it from below I took out air filter box and undid all of the top tinware screws on nearside to remove it - but it would've budge - I assume there maybe more screw/s where it disappears under the bulkhead.

My father-in-law has a workshop/MOT place & I took it over there so he could have a look, but after a couple of weeks of it not really leaking on the workshop floor he found the same leak as above after taking it for a run, but said it's probably best left as it's not really that bad & doesn't do it while not running... any advice would be appreciated as I've accidentally fallen in love with my camper & this is bothering me...

oh ps. I looked at the oil press sender through tinware hole with torch & seems dry the engine is 2.0 CU with auto box... thanks in advance... :)
1982 2.0l Aircooled pop-top auto