Westy BBB charger stopped working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Westy BBB charger stopped working

Post by CJH »

California Dreamin wrote:Plus, you seem to be missing the point, which is that the leisure charger output needs to be higher than the 'possible' discharge. ie: more going in than being taken out, otherwise you are ultimately going to be running directly from the charger, which is not a good thing to happen.
I disagree. The charger just needs to provide as much in any given period, say 24 hours, as you will draw from it in the same period. Chances are your peak draw will come in the evening, with nothing overnight and next to nothing during the day, but if your charger is left switched on all the time it doesn't need to match the peak draw - that's what the battery is for. So the question should be, is 5A times 24 hours equal to the number of amp-hours I use in a day? Most people with a solar setup don't use hook-ups at all, yet those typically only supply a few amps for a third to a half of the 24 hour cycle. A big charger is useful for the odd occasion when you need to get a lot of amps into a flat leisure battery quickly, but how often does that happen? My 90A alternator is perhaps the biggest charger I have for that situation.

CovKid wrote:Assuming that (inverters aside) 240v supply needed to even run the CTEK, Numax etc, another solution is to fit an additional dedicated 240v to 12v supply which you can switch over to.
At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader for this CTEK fan club, note that some of the CTEK units - the MXS7 and MXS10 I think - have a 'supply' mode which does just this. Mine has it, and it seemed like a good idea at the time I bought it (allowing the 12V electrics to work even without a leisure battery installed), but I've never used it - if the hook-up is available, then why not let it look after the leisure battery at the same time? I take your point about a big supply allowing the use of a smaller charger though.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

I agree whole heartedly with your reasoning Chris, I have never said a 5 amp Ctek wouldn't work, just that there are more appropriate products available.
Trouble is.. and I admit this isn't going to happen often..if there is heavy consumer draw (12 volt TV or fridge for instance) a 5amp Ctek is going to be working 'flat out' for the duration the consumer is on, getting very hot, with the likelihood of thermal tripping...which isn't good for the likely longevity of the unit.
At 10 amps or higher, a 'dedicated' leisure charger will comfortably be replacing the 8amp discharge from that TV or fridge without breaking sweat.
I know the battery is a 'buffer', effectively holding a reservoir of energy but all the poor little Ctek charger can see is the high voltage drop caused by the heavy draw and so tries to 'bulk charge' accordingly, irrespective of battery charge percentage.
The issue isn't the total amount of energy the 5amp Ctek can put into the batteries in a 24hr period (I have no doubt that this would be sufficient), rather it is the constant 'load' that this unit would be under during those heavy discharge periods.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

jpennington
80-90 Mem No: 8028

Post by jpennington »

The BBB is capable of delivering 8 Amps. I believe one reason Westfalia fitted such a beefy device was to allow it to power the Eberspacher heater when the leisure battery was flat.
The Ebbo needs lots of amps for the glow plug on start-up, much less when lit.
So you just need to remember not to switch your heater on if you are trying to charge a flat battery.
The BBB can also charge leisure and starter batteries at the same time. I don't know of any modern charger that can do this - but probably not an essential capability.

Actually my BBB died a few years ago - the control circuitry failed so it delivered 17 volts all the time and boiled a couple of batteries before I discovered the fault.
BTW the BBB does not contain any ICs - it is definitely 1970s technology: lots of transistors, some diodes and a couple of thyristors (no-one under 50 will know what a thyristor is!).
As a retired electronics engineer I have tried to repair the BBB a couple of times - but without success, it is an amusing intellectual exercise though.

Oh, and I use a 5A CTEK to keep the batteries healthy over winter, and carry a cheapo Lidl charger in the van for emergencies - never used it yet.

jp
1986, Westfalia Joker, DJ 2.1 engine, 5 speed.
Mine from new, now sold.
Replaced by a T6 California

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

jpennington wrote: BTW the BBB does not contain any ICs - it is definitely 1970s technology: lots of transistors, some diodes and a couple of thyristors (no-one under 50 will know what a thyristor is!).
There might be two different types then. The one sent to me by someone on here, and another I picked up at a show (years ago) were both faulty and both had I.C.s. They were 14 pin ones where the number(s) clearly had been removed (seen that before :twisted: ). I too am a retired electronics engineer and sadly I am well over 50 :?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here