Intermittent Starting Problem AAZ

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tattoojohnny
80-90 Mem No: 9120

Intermittent Starting Problem AAZ

Post by tattoojohnny »

Didn't know if this would come under mechanical or electrical so admin please move if required.
Had this problem a while and slowing going through replacing things to see if I can fix it.
1983 1.6TD JX to 1.9TD AAZ. Sometime turns over first try, sometimes a click and nothing else and sometimes nothing at all. Replaced the ignition switch, brand new starter motor fitted this morning, brand new battery, new earths plus extras from chassis to gearbox and gearbox to bulkhead, battery terminals all clean and tight. What else could it be? Any advice gratefully received. TIA

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Intermittent Starting Problem AAZ

Post by marlinowner »

Does the starter turn if you use a jump lead or similar to go directly from the battery to the starter solenoid?
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

tattoojohnny

Post by tattoojohnny »

If I jumper the solenoid from the +ve terminal it starts every time which is ok when the boot is empty but when its full of camping equipment its a bit of a nightmare. I'm gonna have a go and wire up a push button start to the dash as a temporary fix to see if that works for now.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Must be a wiring or similar problem then. Reminds me of my father-in-law who had a Lancaster bomb-release button in his car to operate the starter!
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

tattoojohnny wrote:If I jumper the solenoid from the +ve terminal it starts every time which is ok when the boot is empty but when its full of camping equipment its a bit of a nightmare. I'm gonna have a go and wire up a push button start to the dash as a temporary fix to see if that works for now.
If that works then it's most likely the wire that runs from the ignition switch to the solenoid - and most probably a grotty/rusted spade connector at the starter end??
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

tattoojohnny

Post by tattoojohnny »

Thanks all. That's what I'm thinking. Just another job to add to the list. Might have to wait until the summer season is over. Want to be out in it as much as I can this year :)

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Post by Al Housman »

I had a similar problem recently and worked out that the earth from the battery to the engine was poor, Tightened it up and 'bingo'.

I tend to suspect earth if I have any electrical problems these days.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

10 minute job to replace a spade terminal and you are going to leave it until after the summer when you are intending to use the van a lot and will need to start it often?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

PhilXXJ
80-90 Mem No: 4555

Post by PhilXXJ »

I had similar.. ok with new starter and fully charged battery but still get it if not used for a week or two. I fixed a toggle switch to the rear of the engine compartment accessible from behind the number plate flap. no need to empty boot! :)