Yet another reminder to check your fuel hoses!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Yet another reminder to check your fuel hoses!

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

But is it the fuel causing it? Especially as it is the exterior only.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

faggie

Post by faggie »

on mine it only seems to split where the hose was bent and under pressure , the original fuel hose I removed after 20 odd years from my van was absolutely fine wished I had left the old stuff on now , as even the new stuff r 9 or fpm /eco does not seem to last longer than 12 months

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:But is it the fuel causing it? Especially as it is the exterior only.

Maybe some of the fuel addatives can permeate the rubber and it's their reaction with air that causes the cracking.
Still doesn't explain why origional hoes are often fine ( mine are) and new stuff doesn't last.

My guess is something like RoHS regs probably preventing manufacture of a decent product, it's happening in many manufacturing fields.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

Big thanks to CJH for highlighting this again. It made me go and check ours. We've had a very near miss. Was just checking things before Mendipidy and found serious perishing on return hose from the pressure regulator. It was actually weeping after I disturbed it which tells how close we came to disaster. Picture to follow. It was all checked when I last serviced it in October last year. Part of the lesson for me is not just to do a visual check but to twist things and look all round each length of pipe.

I don't mind admitting that it frightened me as we have used the Syncro a lot over recent weeks and the perishing is right above the inlet manifold.

It seems to me that the only way to be safe is to replace the lot. Reading previous posts in this thread it looks like there are different IDs of hose in different places and BW don't do a kit for 2.1 DJs. E D I T: Getting underneath and following the pipe from the tank via the pump it does look a bit more straightforward than I first thought. Just need to work out the differing IDs and then measure lengths. Sod's Law is that I brimmed the tank on Sunday with a Sainsburys 6p per litre off voucher - that'll teach me to be so tight! :oops: Still hopefully I can crimp off the pipe at the pump and then do everything on the upside first.

Pete :shock:
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

How embarrassing / lucky is this:

:oops:

Just working out lengths and IDs of hose. Unfortunately BW are out of stock of some sizes. NBR/CR seems to be the one to go for - but what do the initials stand for?

A couple of other questions... I've measured the spigots on a new Mann fuel filter - they are 9mm. Does this mean that I need 8mm ID hose for the run from the tank via pump and filter? Do I also need to follow the depressurising proceedure as per Haynes? Or is it depressurised by not having been run for a couple of days (I always hear the pump bring the system up to pressure when I turn on the ignition)?

Thganks very much,

Pete

Syncronaut #171

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

I don't think that pipe's holding much pressure, Pete.

TBH, I've never bothered depressurising fuel systems anyway. A bit of fuel goes psssht quickly... <shrug>
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

AdrianC wrote:I don't think that pipe's holding much pressure, Pete.

TBH, I've never bothered depressurising fuel systems anyway. A bit of fuel goes psssht quickly... <shrug>

Got it! Thanks Adrian.

Syncronaut #171