break and right indicator earth

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jammyjuju
80-90 Mem No: 13981

break and right indicator earth

Post by Jammyjuju »

Any further advice on this please. When I indicate right and put my brakes on the indicator stops working. So far I have cleaned up the terminals to the front and back indicator / rear light cluster. Cleaned the earth cables behind the airfilter in the engine bay. Cleaned each of the earths on the two clusters behind the fuse pannel. Found another earth on the steering column. Is there any others when you push the break down where is the switch that goes to the break lights. Any help would be appreciated.
T25 1988 1.6TD Auto sleeper

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: break and right indicator earth

Post by marlinowner »

This is an earth problem with the right hand rear light cluster. When the brakes are off the indicator is earthing through the brake lights and left hand light cluster earth, when you apply the brakes that no longer works. You can test this by taking out the brake light bulb, you should then find that the indicator doesn't work at all.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Jammyjuju
80-90 Mem No: 13981

Post by Jammyjuju »

I checked continuity from the cluster to the earth link behind the airfilter this was ok. So made a new earth cable, straight to the battery and everything worked as it should, even the bulbs were all bright something I've not seen for a few years. When I stripped back the earth cable to join a new wire most of the strands were cut from a previous scotch block fitting someone had fitted for the tow bar. So although I had continuity there was only a few strands. All scotch blocks now removed new cables soldered and shrink wrapped. Van Ready for a Sunday surf. I didn't realise scotch blocks were so damaging
T25 1988 1.6TD Auto sleeper

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Scotchblock.
Invention of the devil - designed for the hamf1sted!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Agreed = a stupid idea / design.

Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here