1y water warning light woes

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Chiefy
80-90 Mem No: 13789

1y water warning light woes

Post by Chiefy »

Ok I am lost :run
My 1Y engine runs like a dream but today, the water warning lighty flashy thing wouldn't stop flashing!!
So far I have found..... Two temp senders on the block which both work the temp gauge if I swap the wire, coolant level fine, rad heating up nice, hot air in the cab great, and then to wind the job up the light went off......
Then two starts later, back on :roll: then went off half way home!
Am I missing something? The van was originally a 1.9 petrol converted to 1.6cs then a nice 32k miles 1Y in prior to me buying it

Love it to bits but I HATE intermittent eleccy things :evil:
You make the choice in life, you either Feel the rain.... Or just get wet
'84 1y panel

rsxsr

Re: 1y water warning light woes

Post by rsxsr »

In the North American market, at some point in production the main coolant expansion tank had a fluid level switch in the top that would flash the LED in the temp gauge if the coolant level dropped too low. Your's might have this option still.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

We all have it.
Bit of an old post though. Mine has been doing it recently - pulled No. 43 relay/box of tricks and put it back and it doesn't do it anymore.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

hotpod
80-90 Mem No: 7802

Post by hotpod »

mine did it post conversion too.
in my case, the engine temp was clearly fine but the needle went to the top of the guage and set the flashy light off. we tried new temp sensors but they made no difference.
the solution was to solder a resistor inline to the guage ( i just cut the wire just before the long plug to the dashboard and soldered it inline covered with heatshrink) it took a couple of tries to get the right resistor and i might be able to find out what rating it is if i remember later. now the needle sits happily just to the high side of the led. the flashy light warning is triggered by either low level or by overheating, the reading it gets from the 1y temp sender seems to push it too high and make the light go off. the resistor just puts that signal into a range that the guage is happy with.

if your temp needle doesnt go the the top of the guage though, i would guess it is somenting to do with the level sensor instead.
1992 Syncro 16" 4 door doka 1.9na diesel
1990 Syncro 16" high top Westfalia 1.9tdi

Chiefy
80-90 Mem No: 13789

Post by Chiefy »

Cheers hotpod :ok
You make the choice in life, you either Feel the rain.... Or just get wet
'84 1y panel

T3Aljezur
80-90 Mem No: 11943

Post by T3Aljezur »

did you find out the resitor size ?
my temp gauge is always silly but vcds says it's fine
would be a cool fix.................literally
thanks
Dic
1.9 tdi (ahu) in a Doka

hotpod
80-90 Mem No: 7802

Post by hotpod »

sorry this took me so long.
you are probably all sorted by now but the resistor is 27 ohms i think ( from using a chart online)
probably worth checking for yourselves though ...
i get all of my resistors out of old radiosand stuff which i have taken apart since i was a kid so if you have some old piece of electrical equipment it might be worth a look inside before you bin it. 27ohms worked for me ( its bang on in fact) but i tried a few different ones first looking for the right one. i am pretty sure that i got the engine to temperature and then just held the different resistors between the snipped wire ( just before it entered the white connector for the dash clocks) until the reading read right.
in the photo, it snapped off the connecter end whilst i was moving it for the photo and ignore the wire colour as i i am not sure it is the right one. the chaps who put the diesel engine in the doka about 8 years ago made a bit of a pigs ear of the wiring so it possibly isnt the correct colour for your bus/s

my website is offline at the mo which is where i usually host my images so instead please use the link below for the photo of the resistor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fv56ccbecnd2t ... 9.jpg?dl=0
1992 Syncro 16" 4 door doka 1.9na diesel
1990 Syncro 16" high top Westfalia 1.9tdi

T3Aljezur
80-90 Mem No: 11943

Post by T3Aljezur »

Thanks hotpod
1.9 tdi (ahu) in a Doka