Broken Lid on Oil Breather Tower

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gailus40
80-90 Mem No: 14215

Broken Lid on Oil Breather Tower

Post by gailus40 »

Hi, I've accidentally knocked the top off the oil breather tower on my 1.9DG. It's broken around the edge. Stuck it back on temporarily with insulation tape. Will this last 5 yards or 20 miles, or do you have any advice for more successful temporary fix (gaffa tape?) lol
I have the old one off my DF engine, are they interchangeable?
Many thanks for any help
1.9 DG automatic
1987 Holdsworth

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Re: Broken Lid on Oil Breather Tower

Post by Hacksawbob »

Its just crankcase fumes and a bit of oil going back to the carb. If your engine isn't blowing past the piston rings you should be OK. The one off your DF, if it fits it fits! modern car modders use a catch can for the crank case vent. not critical so long as it's not bloked off and any pressure has somewhere to vent.
member 1168

gailus40
80-90 Mem No: 14215

Post by gailus40 »

So the other suggestion I've been given of strong polythene over it and cable tied around the neck will do for now then?
Cheers x
1.9 DG automatic
1987 Holdsworth

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

if it stops the oil leaks your OK. so long as the crank case can vent, somewhere, to the carb recycles oil vapour, or externally so long as you dont leave an oil trail!
member 1168

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

gailus40 wrote:So the other suggestion I've been given of strong polythene over it and cable tied around the neck will do for now then?
Cheers x

That should work, im assuming the vent pipe is still connected to the carb ? if so its still doing its job, which as hacksawbob says is kinda all that needs to happen, all engines have crankcase gases caused by pressure build up, years ago we would just vent them to the atmosphere but its cleaner to send them back through the engine to be burnt. Causes real issues on direct gasoline injection engines , like the new mini , Citreon DS3 THP and peugeot GTI T ( all the same Prince engine ) I wont bore you on how I know this.... but the work around is a catch can . I have not looked inside one but I would assume the breather turret on our engines would be filled with a metal gauze, this would be to encourage the oil vapour to congeal and turn back into a liquid and with gravity drip back down. Good luck. :ok
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989