New loom

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tattoojohnny
80-90 Mem No: 9120

New loom

Post by tattoojohnny »

Morning all. I've had an auto electrician out to my bus as have had a few electrical issues. He managed to sort out some of the problems but said I could do with a total rewire and that a new loom is available off the shelf and that the split and bay looms are the same??? Mines an '83 which has had an AAZ conversion and even to me that doesn't sound right. Anyone know where to get a new loom from as he says it will be more expensive for him to make one than get one off the shelf.
Cheers in advance
John

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: New loom

Post by lloydy »

gunzl sells new looms, very rare you need a new one though..
http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlCl ... te%20Ausr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;üstung%22/%22Elektrische%20Ausrüstung%22
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: New loom

Post by syncroandy »

VW Classicparts have many of the T3 looms/harnesses still available new, for a price. There are quite a few variations of course so selection would need to be made very carefully. If doing a complete renewal you could upgrade from early to late wiring. TBH the cost including fitting would be significant, so probably only justifiable on a special van, or maybe as part of a restoration.

Your other options include getting used wiring harnesses from a breaker, and refurbish/repair them before fitting. I just rebuilt the front wiring harness (which is an easy swap) on my kombi, with upgraded horns (relay) and improved earthing.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004