Fridge on Gas

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Buffers
80-90 Mem No: 12048

Re: Fridge on Gas

Post by Buffers »

mickeyflyn wrote:I have the same problem on our rm212 ,works fine on electric 240 and 12v but not on gas even though it lights up, although I have noticed the blue flame looks kinda small and yes the bottle is full.

same with me????

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

in that case you can dispense with checking the thing actually works , all that it means is the gas as a heat source is not doing it . several things come up , first you need to ensure that the flue is clear and that the baffle is hanging down in there, also need to check that the outlet to the van vent is clear and works also if you have the rubber disc fitted to the outside is this free,
finally when running on gas is the top of the flue hot as in you cant hold your hand on it
mm

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

Post by chriscburgess »

I have a slightly different problem.

Cools very well in 240v and 12 volt. In fact at the weekend it froze my beers on 24v!

Will start on gas and cool well for a couple of days. However, if I then switch to 12 volt and go for a run I have difficulty lighting it again on gas.

I can hear the starter clicking but it seems a lot quieter almost as if the spark is not big enough. The little red light at the top continually flashes as soon as you switch back to gas but it does not start (and i am holding the gas supply switch in)

I checked the leisure battery and that was at 12.3v.

So in summary it starts and runs well for a couple of days but seems to drop off after that.

Have replaced the thermocouple and ignitor

Very confusing!
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I have seen posts on this before - solution being just to leave it for an hour before lighting the gas. Don't know the reason for it , it just seems to happen to some people. (Why switch to 12v - why not just leave it on the gas?)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

I put picks up a while ago off one I serviced ,there was a right pile of crap came pit the flue and the burneer easy blocks and you van get a crust of carbon etc on the t couple tip,also when low on gas you get that symptom
mm

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

Post by chriscburgess »

metalmick8y wrote:I put picks up a while ago off one I serviced ,there was a right pile of crap came pit the flue and the burneer easy blocks and you van get a crust of carbon etc on the t couple tip,also when low on gas you get that symptom
mm

Thanks. I did clean it all out a couple of years ago and it was a full bottle. I will give it another thorough blow through.
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Slightly off topic now, I know, but :-

chriscburgess wrote:Will start on gas and cool well for a couple of days. However, if I then switch to 12 volt and go for a run I have difficulty lighting it again on gas.
Oldiebut goodie wrote:I have seen posts on this before - solution being just to leave it for an hour before lighting the gas. Don't know the reason for it , it just seems to happen to some people.

I have this small issue too :roll:

I'm guessing it is summat to do with a warm flue (from 12 Volts) causing convection currents to pull the unlit gas up the flue too fast, because on mine, after using the 12 Volts whilst driving, when I spark it I get little "pops" and can see them through the sight glass. If I leave it for a while it will then light first or second click.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I am not sure that that could answer it - if it were true it wouldn't relight after turning off the gas at a refuelling stop which I do with no problem. More thinking needed but I am out of ideas.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Good point !
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Buffers
80-90 Mem No: 12048

Post by Buffers »

Thanks for all the info. I'll give it a go this weekend

Cheers Gents

Phil :ok