Awnings

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ceirion
80-90 Mem No: 0

Awnings

Post by Ceirion »

Hello

I pick up my T25 super Viking on saturday which is all very exciting. I am looking at an awning for her, possibly a kyham motodrome or does anyone have a better recommendation?

Ceirion and of course Daisey
Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party!'
Robin Williams

1983 T25 Super Viking

B.A Eauty
80-90 Mem No: 9628

Re: Awnings

Post by B.A Eauty »

Hello, we have one of these, had a few years and still going strong....http://www.outwell.com/en/Products/Tent ... yRoad.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GMAN140

Post by GMAN140 »

Hi
i have a motordome but i rarely bother to connect it to the van and if i was buying again i would just get a large tunnel tent and park the van up next to it .

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Post by slippy8v »

Also have an Outwell country road perfect for our Komet. here it is, got a package deal on JK inc carpet,and inner bed room

1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

Ceirion

Post by Ceirion »

Thx the tunnels do look good
Robin Williams

1983 T25 Super Viking

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

I recently bought a Khyam Motordome Tourer. Used it once so far. Handy to put up is it's only real advantage over traditional pole type awnings.
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

Depends what you want to use it for. We have a Khyam drive away, but have only used it once or twice. We put an awning rail on the hi-top (not long after buying the drive away) and got a Caravanstore canopy. I much prefer to use this than the drive away as it does not shut us off from the outside world. It protects the van from rain and is also a sunshade. We are not carrying round a huge bag when travelling as the canopy is stored ON the van, not IN it. It has a side and a front that can be put on if the weather is not good, so there is sheltered sitting out space.

...but if you want extra bedroom and outside cooking space then it is probably still a drive away that you need. They are not cheap, so take your time deciding what you want.
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

Eloise
80-90 Mem No: 13791

Post by Eloise »

Hi, we are in the market for an awning too, are there any bargains to be had out there?

Cheers neil
1987 komet hi top. 1.9 wbx with plenty of rust

evilnoodle

Post by evilnoodle »

Several "used" on eBay at the moment for around £50-100.

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

Ceirion

Post by Ceirion »

I have seen a royal traveller 3 which I believe is the square one with Ali poles. Any experience with these?
Robin Williams

1983 T25 Super Viking

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

evilnoodle wrote:Depends what you want to use it for. We have a Khyam drive away, but have only used it once or twice. We put an awning rail on the hi-top (not long after buying the drive away) and got a Caravanstore canopy. I much prefer to use this than the drive away as it does not shut us off from the outside world. It protects the van from rain and is also a sunshade. We are not carrying round a huge bag when travelling as the canopy is stored ON the van, not IN it. It has a side and a front that can be put on if the weather is not good, so there is sheltered sitting out space.

...but if you want extra bedroom and outside cooking space then it is probably still a drive away that you need. They are not cheap, so take your time deciding what you want.

WHS really. Its a personal preference thing, no point paying extra for a feature you dont need

What do you want to use it for? extra sleeping, cooking space etc.
How will you use it? Set up and be done for the week or touring and moving every day/couple of days.
How big do you need it to be?

We enjoyed our Kyham QE - it was just big enough for 2 of us as a cooking/eating and sitting area. It was superb for speed of erection/packing as we move on every day or so.
Its limitations are size and weight when packed down.

We now have a Oz Tent which again is heavy and long to carry when packed away but quality is second to none and its even quicker to put up then the Kyham.

Friends have these huge tunnel awnings which are great for what they need but too big and slow for us
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Ceirion

Post by Ceirion »

All very true we have two young children so just want extra sitting space on those odd rainy afternoons.
Robin Williams

1983 T25 Super Viking

evilnoodle

Post by evilnoodle »

Ceirion wrote:All very true we have two young children so just want extra sitting space on those odd rainy afternoons.

Consider a canopy then. The main part is stowed outside of the van (giving more space for camping and kids stuff inside). You can get sides and a front, which will give more shelter if the weather is grotty. These panels fold up quite small, and you could leave them behind to free up more space if not needed. Or just take one or two.

If you just use the canopy you will have a better view of what is going on around you to keep an eye on playing kids too :D

Ceirion

Post by Ceirion »

See now there's an idea I have not thought of, thx will look into it
Robin Williams

1983 T25 Super Viking

ChrisTriple
80-90 Mem No: 12111

Post by ChrisTriple »

We have a kayham drive sleeper drive away, I must admit its fantastic, only down side for me is it doesn't have a fixed in ground sheet.

I'd recommend it 100%
84 Devon Sunrise PopTop, DF. Campershack LPG.
Full Body resto completed 04-17

http://www.T25Camper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;