Relining T25 hi-top

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Gillski

Relining T25 hi-top

Post by Gillski »

I need to replace the interior carpet of the living area of my T25 as the original is dropping dust or falling to bits. I have been quoted £1000 to do the job which I think is quite steep but I understand it is a difficult job and needs to be done well. I am on my own so would need to "hire" a spare pair of hands if I do it myself.

Any ideas of rough cost if I pay someone?

Gill

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Relining T25 hi-top

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Gill,

You could do it yourself if confident enough. The material you need is called lining carpet and it's readily available from the likes of eBay. I bought some from this vendor: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-X-MTR-VELTR ... 4ab2c5adca

Just give them the measurements of the project and they can tell you how much to buy, though I'd add 10% to allow for error. Make sure you have the van windows wide open when you apply the glue.... :twisted:

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Did mine myself. Took 10 days what with removing old stuff, dismantling cupboards etc. Took 26 sq.mtrs but that includes all cupboards, slider, tailgate and side panel cards, bottom of slide out high top bed etc because the Komet conversion I have is 'carpet-city'.

See pictures at the bottom of this link http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... fore+after" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£1000 does sound bluddy expensive but there is a fair bit of work involved.....

but I'd still say "Do it yourself" and it's a good time to add any extra lighting or other items you want :wink:
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

What roof is it ??????? And what have you asked um to do !
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

jamesc76 wrote:What roof is it ??????? And what have you asked um to do !
Autosleeper Trooper apparently (according to her old posts). Isn't that the pop-top version?
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Gillski

Post by Gillski »

It's an Autosleeper Trident. Would love not to do the main roof as it's not so bad but it still drops dust. The £1000 quote includes the lot. Do you know of anything I could spray the roof with to stick the dust back on?

Think I should really do the whole lot - saves trying to get an exact colour match. Thanks for the link to the carpet supplier. At least now I know the cost of materials.

Gill

chuggers72
80-90 Mem No: 10670

Post by chuggers72 »

Doing exactly this on my Leisuredrive hi top at the mo - taken out the old carpet that was disintergrating like yours. Its not that hard to do - definately do it yourself - you'll save a few hundred quid.

To save more cash you can buy a few different kinds of lining carpet off Ebay- eg Veltrim which is the decent hardwearing kind - more expensive (£10ish / metre) but good on the panels/doorcards of the van that will take a bit of abuse. Use a cheaper / thinner/acoustic covering for the areas that take minimal wear ie the hitop roof ceiling and sides - this is only 5 quid a metre.

Expensive : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-VW-T4-T5 ... 23264b98fc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheaper : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Car-Spe ... 5aeac9faed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've done my hi top and headlining for about £200.

:ok
1986 1.9 DG Leisuredrive HiTop

Gillski

Post by Gillski »

Finally, I plucked up courage to do this and, with the help of a local carpet fitter, it is done and looks so much better. I even insulated the doors while the panels were off. Quite a bit of entertainment relocating screw holes in doors to put panels back but otherwise quite easy. I needed 22sq metres to do the high-top. Probably could have got away with 20 but the roof lining took a couple of goes - lots of bends to go round and we were a bit high on glue!!! :rofl

If I can do this anybody who has done difficult bits of wallpapering can do it!

Gill

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

do we get picks :D
mm

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Gillski wrote:Finally, I plucked up courage to do this and, with the help of a local carpet fitter, it is done and looks so much better. I even insulated the doors while the panels were off. Quite a bit of entertainment relocating screw holes in doors to put panels back but otherwise quite easy. I needed 22sq metres to do the high-top. Probably could have got away with 20 but the roof lining took a couple of goes - lots of bends to go round and we were a bit high on glue!!! :rofl

If I can do this anybody who has done difficult bits of wallpapering can do it!

Gill

I know that feeling, I did the whole of the back of one of my vans - having never done it before, I tried to do the whole side in one and started from the top (you live and learn).

I soon found myself between the van wall and the carpet spray the high temp adhesive spray - getting VERY high :rofl everything took on this vibrant purple hazey tunnel type effect and I staggered around trying to get fresh air into my lings.
half a million brains cells destroyed in that one hit - but it was fun whilst it lasted :mrgreen:

That 4 way stretch carpet is amazing stuff, I've done a few vans now and really enjoy it.

I hope you used High Temp glue by the way :shock:
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'