Khyam Motordome Tourer

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

eiret25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Khyam Motordome Tourer

Post by eiret25 »

Hi all. I am in the market looking for a driveaway awning for my tintop. I am considering this,

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=758 ... e%20Tourer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any opinions or reviews would be appreciated.
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi

eiret25

Re: Khyam Motordome Tourer

Post by eiret25 »

Or this, a bit of a difference in price.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EASY-CAMP-SILVER ... essories&h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duffmonster

Post by duffmonster »

Hi, just joined, so apologies if I break any etiquette! But I have a Khyam motordome classic which fits to my t5 via a Reimo multirail and three pieces of figure of eight plastic. I have used this for almost three years now, fantastic bit of kit. Very good build quality, I am firm believer in you get what you pay for and I was not disappointed in this case. Very easy to put up (takes literally three minutes, less pegging) by two people and fix to van. Easy to disconnect and drive away and refit again. My only slight gripe would be the rubbish pegs that came with it, but otherwise no complaints at all. Last summer (?) I spent three nights in tropical storms in Croatia (Umag) almost every other tent and awing was blown over/away, but not the Khyam. Don't like to offer other people advise only experience, but buy cheap, buy twice! Good luck with whatever you decide.
T5 Danbury, and very proud owner of new T25 1984 Autosleeper VT20

BaaaadSlider
80-90 Mem No: 2777
Location: Folkingham, Lincs-where the chocolate factory is :)

Post by BaaaadSlider »

Had ours for nearly five years now and its still as good as the day we bought it.
I can manage to to put it up on my own within 10 minutes and the pegging out takes longer but still worth it.
Can highly recommend it :ok
Owner of the Bad Bus 1.9 1989T25 running on LPG
ImageImage

isaune

Post by isaune »

http://campershop.co.uk/drive-away-camp ... wning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a good'un.

Not quite as fancy but well made and a good price.

Corniki34
80-90 Mem No: 11653

Post by Corniki34 »

Bought ours at the start of last summer and could'nt be more pleased with it. It has been on several short camping trips and round france, 5 mins to put up and take down once you have the hang of it also totally waterproof and feels safe in strong winds. One word of caution is if you have littl'uns try and peg down the strap that runs round the 4 corner poles across the front and back of awning as we did'nt and.... Ripp! Easily fixed with some heavy duty thread , crochet needle and sore thumb but could have done without it.
Oh and it's a bit of a beast weight and size wise but I think this is an acceptable trade off.
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Ordered the Tourer and clip in groundsheet this morning. Should have it Friday all going well!!

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Got the packaged delivered last week. I ordered it through Khyam telephone sales. On the website, I was getting charged 14BP per item adding up to 42BP....quite an amount. The sales woman just charged me 14 for all three items, so advice to all buyers outside of Britain is to buy via telesales. No complaints with the package or delivery time, 2 days impressive.

It connects to the van by a pole and clamp system, very good method in my opinion.

We went away for the weekend and I am impressed. It really adds to the campervan, money well spent (apart from the groundsheet)

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

An alternative would be the excellent Outwell Country Road...better made than the Kyam with good cover around the door in the rain (compare the two and you will see what I mean) however, a little harder to erect: see

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/38095690 ... 0&ff14=108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV