rear storage

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dub1670
80-90 Mem No: 0

rear storage

Post by dub1670 »

afternoon all,

i'll soon be re fitting my interior in the van once i've finished the garage conversion.

have seen a few pictures of guys with storage above the engine hatch. think someone on here or 'the brick yard' has built a pull out drawer with cook and what not. my question is, to achieve this would i have to raise my rock and roll bed, because at present once the bed is laid flat we have a foam mattress just laid on top of the engine cover. seems like missing a trick for some storage is all.

cheers

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Re: rear storage

Post by tforturton »

The people with the storage drawers above the engine bay have got that space because they have installed an after-market bed. These beds were designed to fit in Bay window busses, where the engine compartment is taller. This means when you fit them in a T25, you're left with a gap between the bed and the top of the engine bay. To get round that, people make up a platform, and the clever ones fit drawers into it.
Clearly, you have a correct T25 bed, hence no gap.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

tforturton wrote:The people with the storage drawers above the engine bay have got that space because they have installed an after-market bed. These beds were designed to fit in Bay window busses, where the engine compartment is taller. This means when you fit them in a T25, you're left with a gap between the bed and the top of the engine bay. To get round that, people make up a platform, and the clever ones fit drawers into it.
Clearly, you have a correct T25 bed, hence no gap.

....eh? :?:
Have no idea what you are talking about here. No disrespect, but my van has a professionally installed interior and in common with loads of other pro interiors, there is storage under the bed, over the hatch cover. Certainly not an after market bed. Am I missing something here? Don't understand your last sentence..
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

I think I'm correct in saying that the beds that were sold with the vans from new (like a multivan bed) will sit flush. Anything added afterwards, probably won't.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

dub1670

Post by dub1670 »

hi everyone, yer its an original bed, but had better days really, just thought of using the original hinges and building new play wood bed bottom. but we'll see what happens just fancied the idea of storage there for tools and other random bits :D

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

It's a Reimo style bed that's all.

They were offered as a low level (flush with engine bay) or high level (with underbed storage) using the same hinges, but the bit under your bum has a 'stay' either side and the sides and front of the bed frame differ.

I have a set of plans for making one up somewhere. PM me if you want them.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)