Radiator Fan

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

coaster
80-90 Mem No: 5171

Radiator Fan

Post by coaster »

Hi now i can usually work out most hiccups on the van but this for the moment has me flummoxed, 89- 2.1 Radiator Fan permanently running in hovercraft mode! Now its always worked fine (in standing traffic etc & only came on this time as I was maneuvering a trailer) it went into hover craft mode & wont now switch off, pulled the fuse no1 still runs! unplug rad switch as well still runs! would pull relay but don't appear to have one in position five, so dis con battery & ponder to this point . hopefully its starring me in the face & its me not firing on all cylinders ?

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Radiator Fan

Post by bigherb »

there are two positions for the relay depending on the type of fan fitted. If it has the 500W fan fitted the relay and fuse is mounted on the A post above the fusebox next to the earth crowns.
Not unknown for water leaking past the screen to get into the relay causing it to energize.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

coaster
80-90 Mem No: 5171

Re: Radiator Fan

Post by coaster »

Well done that man! that's the bugger, managed to extract relay reconnect batt, no fan presto.test relay works fine every time so can only assume that as this is the first time Ive heard it go into hover mode the contacts have stuck! & disturbing it clicked open. whilst on this I take it that the fuse for 50 amp fastened across relay bracket ,so the 30amp one is only for the first fan speed, hen'st how it keeps going with no fan fuse.

Now looked into this & apparently this is a three speed set up for vans with air con which I don't have so suppose they wired them in case air con option was taken up down the line. So everything reconnected sensor relays fuses battery all fine & quiet again ,now dare i leave it ticking over to fire it all up again ! not tonight EH! many thanks.