Stereo Wiring

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DaveyHB
80-90 Mem No: 13371

Stereo Wiring

Post by DaveyHB »

Afternoon all.

Having some problems getting a new head unit working in my '81 T25.

The first issue was that there was no power coming from the "ignition live" (red) cable leading from the fuse box - After some fiting and failing, I decided to bypass that and instead wire directly to battery (main one as no liesure fitted) just to see if I could get it to work.

So, this is where I am now:
I now have the new head units ISO connector setup so that its permanent live (yellow) and ignition live (red) cables are joined together in a block connector and from the other end of that I have a further red cable (with an in-line 5amp fuse) going directly to the battery. The earth cable currently just terminates in another block connector (with nothing @ other end) - I also currently have no speakers connected as I am just trying to get the stupid thing to turn on.

With all that done, I have used a multimeter and proven that I have 12v coming out @ end of ISO connector before plugging it into the stereo - That being the case, I plug it in but sadly still a big fat nothing happens - The stereo will not power on :?

Am I missing something? Do I need to have a 'properly' grounded earth? I am quite stumped so looking some advice...

I am new to the forums and to the VW scene having recently aquired my first T25 so pretty much a complete novice @ everything.

Any help (pictures of how you have done it) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

DB :ok

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Stereo Wiring

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

You will not have a circuit for the electrickery to flow round if you do not have an earth!!
I think that you will find that it isn't a stupid thing.
Also, connect your speakers up before you turn it on.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

DaveyHB

Re: Stereo Wiring

Post by DaveyHB »

Cheers for the advice - Have been told his now by a few people and am feeling very sheepish... DOH! :oops:

DB

DaveyHB

SORTED - Re: Stereo Wiring

Post by DaveyHB »

Hey all.

Stereo now sorted. Van currently in for a respray (going back to its roots of being brilliant orange (L20B)).

Once back, just a few small things to sort out - Like why fridge doesnt work and then its all go for the summer camping scene :D

DB