No key for fresh water filler cap

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Vitamins
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Vitamins »

Hi, my fresh water filler cap is locked and I do not have a key, does anyone know how I can get this opened? I had a locksmith out this morning but no luck.
Why be normal if you can be happy.

1990 T25 California Westfalia, 1.6TD

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: No key for fresh water filler cap

Post by davidoft1 »

have you got a pictures of the cap? I think all the keys are the same for them, where you based?

JonnyAtlantic
80-90 Mem No: 10709

Post by JonnyAtlantic »

Can you just undo the three screws and disconnect the whole assembly without taking off cap?

Then replace with one of these?

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1990 Westfalia Atlantic 1.6TD

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Post by Timwhy »

I had the same issue with mine. I took off the utility and disconnected the hose from the back side to get access to the lock. Once I had everything off I could see that I could remove the lock by way of a nut. Removed the nut and the lock slid out. Then I took the lock to a RV dealer and they drilled out the lock so a blank key would fit in and turn the lock. A screwdriver is a little easier to use than the small key for that lock now.

Key ALPKBA was the key that fit my lockset but you may cross-ref that number if yours looks the same. There were different style keys for the same looking lock, so know what you have before buying.
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

US Spec filler.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Vitamins
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Vitamins »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, been away in the camper and out of signal so sorry not had much chance before now to reply. I did indeed remove the whole cover using the three screws as suggested and filled up with fresh water. I noticed from one of the links that the key looked very similar to my classic mini petrol cap and hey presto I got half a turn and waited on the cap popping out, it didn't. Decided to use a bit of force and a screwdriver at the two positions of the turned key and eventually the cap came off. It is still a bit stiff to free but with some persuasion it comes loose.

Thanks again for the help and hope this is of some assistance to others.

Regards

Vitamins
Why be normal if you can be happy.

1990 T25 California Westfalia, 1.6TD