Early 1.9DG Thermostat replace

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rocco1504
80-90 Mem No: 12108

Early 1.9DG Thermostat replace

Post by rocco1504 »

Hi

I'm in the process of going through all the bits that need doing on my 1984 T25, after obviously having had years of neglect by it's previous owner.

Anyway, having had a Ton of bodywork done and spent over £500 having the Brake system refurbed, I need to do the Radiator as I find it has a small but significant enough leak to be needing a new one.
So, I thought as I was doing it, I'd do all the other peripherals in the cooling system, as She's never run properly hot, according to the gauge and the warning light continually flashes ( I hardly ever use the Van, so hasn't had a chance to do any damage ), So, all the switches and the Thermostat, basically.

Problem is, it seems I have the Early WBX engine, and the thermostat looks almost inaccessible, and I was wondering if anyone had done one, without having to remove the water pump ?, which it looks like I have to do to access the Thermostat.

Any advice or pointers would be very much appreciated.
Scabby Doris, 1984 T 25 1.9 DG Transporter

andyvw
80-90 Mem No: 2853

Re: Early 1.9DG Thermostat replace

Post by andyvw »

You 'should' be able to remove the bolts holding the housing to the water pump, and then the housing slides out. Though you may well shear the bolts and then the pump and housing will have to come out as a lump to be seperated on the bench. Replacing the water pump is easy enough, but the housings are as rare as rocking horse droppings so best not break it.

Andy

rocco1504

Post by rocco1504 »

Hi Andy thanks for that.

Am I right in thinking that the Stat is underneath and to the left of the pump and only has 2 X 10mm bolts ?, and would be accessible from underneath ?, or would it be better just to remove the whole pump assembly and do it in a vice, Thing is I only have a Haynes :roll: :roll: , and it says it covers '82 on but only seems to show the later Stat and engine setup.

Is there anywhere else I can find a sort of "How To" of doing this ?, I've done a few Stats in my time so not afraid, but this just seems a weird set up.

tandemsandy
80-90 Mem No: 9604

Post by tandemsandy »

I've just finished giving Vinnie a full cooling system overhaul this weekend including a new thermostat.
Yes the thermostat is awkward. 10mm head bolts accessible from underneath, one bolt is easier with the oil filter removed but I used a UJ on the socket extension and got it ok. I must add that I stripped the engine 2 1/2 yrs ago and struggled to get the bolts out, even with the engine on the bench. The bolt nearest the rad inlet was seized completely and I had to drill it right through and replace it with a long bolt with a washer & nut on the end.

Personally if the pump is OK I'd not disturb it unless this method fails!

If the bolts do come out, make sure you give them a good coating of coppaslip before they go back in.

Rob
Sandy & Rob live with Vinnie, an '84 1.9 DG Leisuredrive

rocco1504

Post by rocco1504 »

Cheers Rob, Just what I needed to know *GROAN*

But seriously, thanks for the heads up on that one, it sounds like bags of fun, and gallons of Plus Gas; As soon as I looked at it I knew it was going to be a B****,

I wanted to change it as the van never seems to get hot, only ever gets to the first mark, and smacks of a stuck Thermostat, as there don't seem to be any other problems.

I suppose it's just grit me teeth and go for it time.

Thanks again

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

I did this job 6 months ago. Plenty of plus gas daily over a week before you start is my advice. I did a thread on it a while back. Your engine will thank you and heat up more quickly with a decent thermostat. Only use a quality brickwerks item. After much prep its worth checking associated pipes and connections.
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

waltraud wrote:I did this job 6 months ago. Plenty of plus gas daily over a week before you start is my advice. I did a thread on it a while back. Your engine will thank you and heat up more quickly with a decent thermostat. Only use a quality brickwerks item. After much prep its worth checking associated pipes and connections.

Hi - might be doing the same job myself soon - coolant taking forever to heat up.
Can't find your thread on this - have you got a link my any chance?
Also, did you fully drain coolant or clamp hoses, or neither .....
Cheers
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

No coolant drain nesessary on a stat change
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

out of interest is it the same stat and o ring on early and late thermostat housings?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

As Kev says, v little is lost in the process.

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

Rocco
last year I removed my water pump/thermostat assembly and some associated hoses. I need to do this again soon to sort a damaged thread out and a slight hose leak.
Just a thought, I'm only down near Haywards Heath, so you could bring van down one weekend and we could hit both at same time (if it ever stops raining!)
FW
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

My thread is either titled washing machine noises from engine or early dg thermostat. ...

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Gotcha - found it .....

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=109519

Interesting (read: scary) read !!
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

waltraud

Post by waltraud »

No, I know it sounds scary but if you take a few days, be methodical and careful with stuck Ness.... I used stainless Allen bolts in place of old ones.