Buying 1982 camper - help please

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mickandsej
80-90 Mem No: 15455

Buying 1982 camper - help please

Post by Mickandsej »

Hi, I may have gone straight to the wrong part of the forum so please let me know if I have!
I am looking at a 1982 1970cc camper nearby. I previously owned a Kamper 1.6TD (D363MVS if it's on here?) so not altogether new to the field, although I did sell it 10 years ago!
The one I am looking at has various cosmetic issues which frankly are reflected in the price, but there are some other queries I have.
It seems to have a lot of dive, pitch and roll at the front, 2nd synchro is weak, the oil light flickered once on the overrun (almost down to idle speed, cleared quickly). It's nowhere near as plush as the kamper and although fitted out it is more 'modular' than bespoke. 2way fridge, pumped water, lightweight pop top, etc. all the window frames look good, it's got plenty of MOT too. The mileage is completely unknown. There is a loud tap from the engine, almost as if there's a pinhole in the manifold, or are the top ends a worry on these?
Doubtless this sounds as if I have gone too far down the road with the idea before doing my homework, but I am tempted by it and I always regretted selling the last one!
My daily drivers are an Alfa 155 or 'her' Touran, and I have an MGB GT tucked away in the garage, so not completely unaware of the risks of running a 30+ year old motor..
Thanks for reading and hopefully someone will point me somewhere!
2002 Toyota Previa micro camper, 2021 Jeep Renegade 3 pot, 1992 Fiat Ducato Murvi LWB hi top

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Buying 1982 camper - help please

Post by Mocki »

Dive, pitch and roll sounds like it's either suffered at the hands of a muppet playing with springs and shockers or maybe the anti roll bar drop links are broken?
If it's not been started for a goodly while the tappets maybe rattling, obviously we can't hear what you can, but it often sounds "tinny" enough to be mistaken for exhaust noise.
As for interior , well, each to their own really! Lol !
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Buying 1982 camper - help please

Post by Plasticman »

and bung a load of picks up or a link to them and details of engine etc
mm