1.9DG Early Type WaterPump Removal Tip

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andyvw
80-90 Mem No: 2853

1.9DG Early Type WaterPump Removal Tip

Post by andyvw »

Removing the water pump may be as troublesome for you as it was for me. Here's a potential tip to avoid snapped stud removal!
The 'normal' technique is to remove the attached thermostat, then with this out the way you can slide the waterpump out. My issues started with snapped bolt heads holding the thermostat to the pump housing. Now everything would have to come out a single unit to be split on the bench. To do this the metal water pipe running from the thermostat housing behind the water pump and crankshaft pulleys to the RH head has to be removed. If the hex socket bolts holding the pipe to the head shear off you are in a potential world of pain removing the remaining stud. If you cut the pipe just to the left of the distributor shaft (see arrow in the photo) then this is the one spot you have sufficient clearance behind the pulleys to fit a piece of hose & clips to rejoin after your pump replacement. This technique will avoid having to remove the two hex headed bolts should they not want to come out cleanly.
Of course you may not discover that the bolts don't want to come out too late for this to be useful (as I did , so then you can practice the technique of welding a nut on for stud removal which worked a treat)
Removing the seized bolts from the Thermostat housing is another story .. that involved drilling out and refacing the housing.

Fully Loaded Cali'
80-90 Mem No: 5593
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Next to the river behind the pub ;)

Re: 1.9DG Early Type WaterPump Removal Tip

Post by Fully Loaded Cali' »

By cutting this pipe, would this not leave the part that is pushed into the block with no retaining screws free to start moving about in it's seal? I may be wrong, but I thought the rigid pipe was a push fit into the seal and the fixed at the other end??
1984 Marsala Red Pop Top Westy.

andyvw
80-90 Mem No: 2853

Post by andyvw »

The O ring seal on that end allows for thermal expansion and alignment tolerances without leaking. (i.e. it's not an end butted seal ) When you rejoin the pieces they will butt against each other to stop gross movements.
It's been watertight for may 1000's of miles now, so I don't think it's a problem.

Fully Loaded Cali'
80-90 Mem No: 5593
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Next to the river behind the pub ;)

Post by Fully Loaded Cali' »

Ok, will remember that tip....most of my studs / nuts look like they been at the bottom of the sea for 30 years on the cooling system and exhaust!!
1984 Marsala Red Pop Top Westy.