why were these removed when the pushrod seals were replaced

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Re: why were these removed when the pushrod seals were replaced

Post by billybigspud »

Come on, shout, really? If he did then you must have wound him up. You seem to do it quite well with people on here.

sternal
80-90 Mem No: 13349

Post by sternal »

by billybigspud » 18 minutes ago

Come on, shout, really? If he did then you must have wound him up. You seem to do it quite well with people on here.

Thank you for your constructive and mature reply which is uncalled for if asking why he didn't refit them is winding him up perhaps he should have refitted them in the first place!

Once again thank you for your reply !
1.7 KY diesel ex Deutsche Post van

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I don't think sternal has done anything to wind anyone up.Has someone got a gun to your head making you read his posts?
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

As stated earlier...vw don't tend to fit "shoulder parts" so if leaving something out on purpose he should have a good reason to back it up...not a shouty reason.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

No reference to the above but....is there a groove in the base of the pedestal or in the head for the wire to sit in ? I ask as it would seem odd to have it sandwiched between the two, surely this then would prevent the pedestals seats completely flat ??
mm

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

metalmick8y wrote:No reference to the above but....is there a groove in the base of the pedestal or in the head for the wire to sit in ? I ask as it would seem odd to have it sandwiched between the two, surely this then would prevent the pedestals seats completely flat ??
mm

WHS ^^

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

i would ask messrs sarran but i fear he is somewhat involved at the mo :lol:
mm

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

Time to learn to work on your own engine methinks :? Don't pay monkeys to bugger about with things they don't understand.[/quote]

Quite right; I monkey about with things I don't understand on my own van entirely for free.
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

Allanw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Allanw »

Ian Hulley wrote: The pushrod tubes have an in-built tension in that they are compacted as the head is tightened down...

The type 4 ones aren't squished between the head and the case. After the heads are bolted on, you can fit type 4 tubes - they just slide in the holes - the friction of the O rings, and that wire "spring" are the ONLY things holding them in. They were actually quite a neat idea - way easier to fix leaks on, than the type 1 engine (where the head had to come off, or spring loaded tubes used)

I guess (in theory) not fitting them, but using sealer would hold the o rings in place and stop the tubes moving. However, I'd sure want them fitted - if a tube drops out, can you imagine the amount of oil that runs out????? The tubes MUST move up and down slightly in the bores as the engine expands/contracts, so the sealer probably won't last forever.

I sure don't see much advantage in leaving them out though.
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC.
Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.

sternal
80-90 Mem No: 13349

Post by sternal »

thank you for your replies even though are greek to me at the mo I really appreciate your input and gives me a better understanding

All I can say is that 3 years ago the push rods where changed (before I owned) to what i don't have a clue, solid ones (?) and it doesnt have hydrolic tappets anymore... again I cant tell you anymore than that...I am not near the paperwork at the mo (will be this eve) I have spoken to my trusted everyday car mechanic and he says okay for the mo but he will refit them on a quiet day in Sept ! (the only reason he didn't do the job is because hes booked up solid till end of aug)
I'm not going back to Chris cross motors for them to do so its going to cost me for a job that should have been completed in the first place ! all a learning curve (even at 40yrs old )
1.7 KY diesel ex Deutsche Post van

horizontal kipper
80-90 Mem No: 2661

Post by horizontal kipper »

I wouln't be surprised if your so called Aircooled monkey has put the rocker arm stands on with the grove for the retaning wire facing up instead of down realised his mistake when trying to fit the reataining wire and couldn't be bothered to take the extra 10mins of refiting the correct way so left them out. :roll:

blacky
80-90 Mem No: 11413

Post by blacky »

I wouldn't go back, and my memory of these tells me you can fit them without loosening the rocker shaft nuts. They simply clip into grooves on the square rocker shaft pedastels and they press onto the shoulder of the pushrod tubes right at the bottom of the pushrod tube holes in the head, thats the only tricky bit but if one pops off the shoulder and into the tube its easily pushed back onto top shoulder of tube with a screwdriver. Buy new rocker cover gaskets, remove cover and offer up springs loosely , look for slots in rockershaft pedastel to see where spring sits and look for shoulder of pushrod tube to see other spring contact point which keeps tube pushed inwards to centre of vehicle.

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

is there a groove in the base of the pedestal or in the head for the wire to sit in ? I ask as it would seem odd to have it sandwiched between the two, surely this then would prevent the pedestals seats completely flat ??

Just had a look at my garage door-stop and there isn't a groove, or a mark to suggest the wire is trapped under the rocker assembly.

2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Following with interest..

I can confirm that there is no installing groove under the rocker pedestals.. :(

Like I said.. these seem to be a genuine VW retro bodge..

When you have done a few....

They are still awful.. :roll:

But they were researched.. drawn.. prototyped..tested.. put into production ...

For a good reason..

As said above.. the only thing that holds the tubes in place..without the springs....are the 'O' ring ,, green and black.. oil seals..

When you fit them new.. they are such a good fit that you need plenty of oil and an accurate drift not to 'tear' the oil seal as it goes in..

posted in Ooops..

So if you leave things as they are... you run a reasonable risk of one or more tubes breaking loose and starting to leak..

When properly built VW aircooleds should not leak ...

..and VW did put those springs in........

Wait till you discover the heater thermostat and wongy flaps syndrome.. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

sternal..... have you done the right thing buying a non pedigree 30 year old Aircooled breadvan..... if you can't seriously work on it yourself..

Buy it....restore it.... ride it....

Its a VW thing.. :wink:

Cordialement,

:ok

blacky
80-90 Mem No: 11413

Post by blacky »

As per boxy's pic there is no groove there because the groove is not in the head but in the squareish steel block that the rockershaft nut tightens on to. Its on the underside of the block. if you look at sarran's pic of the head with spring in place it shows exactly where the spring would fit into the groove if rockershaft was in place. Take cover off, offer spring up and sharply curved end follows contour of inside of head centre piece of spring goes into groove of rocker shaft support in middle of shaft and two grooves on end supports take ends of springs. It will all be apparent when you look.