1.6 CR to 1.9 1Y conversion issues

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sword70
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.6 CR to 1.9 1Y conversion issues

Post by sword70 »

I have just got out type 25 mot'd for the first time since 1994 so well chuffed with myself but now trying to sort out some niggles.

Firstly the crankshaft oil seal is leaking, should never second guess myself before fitting a used engine again :D , are these the same part as fitted to the CS CR codes or are they specific for the 1y or does anybody know the part number so i can order before taking engine out.

Secondly i had to modify the accelerator linkage at the pump end as the bracket wasn't in a good position but driving it down the garage for mot i noticed first inch of pedal travel didnt seem to bad but after that its strongman territory to get more revs, the pump has 2 big springs on it which i assume is where all the pressure is coming from so do i need to modify these or can i remove one of the springs.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: 1.6 CR to 1.9 1Y conversion issues

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Flywheel end.
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/v ... l-end.html if you used the CS housing, if you kept the 1Y all-in-one http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/v ... l-end.html

It will be one of the two.
Pulley end
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/v ... -seal.html
Didn't you have signs of oil there when you stripped it?
I changed mine as a matter of course - you don't want to have to drop the engine again!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

sword70

Post by sword70 »

Cheers for the links and the info.

There wasn't any signs of oil leak when i got the engine, it came from a local breakers and was pretty oil and dirt free when i got it, kicking myself that i didn't change it then but i need to sort some oil seals out in the gearbox and drain refill that so going to drop the box anyway.

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

Is it better to use the CS or 1Y housing? I haven't got up to that bit yet
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

It is a damn sight cheaper to replace the seal in the CS housing!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

sword70

Post by sword70 »

Typical, i have weighed in the old engine ages ago :-)

sword70

Post by sword70 »

Dropped the gearbox over the weekend and still not convinced its the crankshaft oil seal leaking but ordered one anyway.
Got one from veedubmachine through ebay as had some parts of them before and got it delivered next day for £25.50.

At least i have peace of mind thats replaced now and had new sump gasket recently so only oily thing in that area is vacumn pump and oil breather which have been replaced so might have just been oil residue pooled in behind the flywheel from when breather leaked and was replaced , either way nowt else in general area to leak now :D .

Working out quite well so far as needed two oil seals on gearbox, welded captive nuts on clutch cylinder bracket as it was too awkward to fit nuts and bolts led under the van and will be replacing gearbox oil with gearbox out so no spills or working in tight space and replacing both rear wheel bearing so major rear end service almost complete.