Mechanic Etiquette

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Mechanic Etiquette

Post by danmetallic »

I'm aware this is a bit of a grey area but I'd be interested in peoples' opinions.

Basically I've had a few niggling issues with the van which I took to a trusted local VW mechanic to look at. Both issues are "process of elimination" jobs so I knew we probably wouldn't nail the problems straight off.

Picked up van and paid about £400 which largely amounted to labour and a few parts for other things he was looking at. Unfortunately, both issues are still there. Plus I was a bit shocked about the fee as I had no phone call with an estimate.

My question is... should I give him a ring and look for some sort of discount OR, should I just accept it and get on with life?

Thanks in advance, Dan.
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

ladybird
80-90 Mem No: 12203

Re: Mechanic Etiquette

Post by ladybird »

Personally i just except and get on with it try some one else...there are others who will not except..sure thats life i understand your frustration.
1989 2.1dj manual vw engine

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Perhaps learn a few basic proceedures and learn to do things yourself?
That will keep costs down
Otherwise mechanics have you by the hip.

Did you ask for the hourly rate and estimated time?
If not then I would assume you were not bothered.
If the problem remains then perhaps it needs more time and money throwing at it :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ttcharlie
80-90 Mem No: 3706

Post by ttcharlie »

Presuming the mechanic is charging £50 an hour, he has probably spent around 7 hours plus parts (or something like that).

I would expect a mechanic to be able to diagnose a fault, on what is by modern terms, a fairly simple vehicle in 7 hours. I would take it back and have a reasonable chat with them.

My presumptions could be wrong though...
Counting Bricks........

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

My opinion = It depends on how much of that £400 was for fixing the issues you mention. They can charge you for any parts that needed replacing, but not for parts that they "think might fix it" (but didn't).

So if say £200 of that bill was charged to fix summat specific that isn't actually fixed, then just go back and say "hey I paid you money to fix this and it ain't fixed, please can you sort it out".

Example = we had a panel painted on our Scirocco and when it came back it was clearly a different shade than the rest of the car. I took it back and politely asked him to sort it out, but I did offer a bit of a "backhander" as mechanics hate doing "come back" jobs as they are "no profit for time spent" jobs, and I did not want to fall out with the guy. Some folks said I was too soft on him :roll:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

ghost123uk wrote:I did offer a bit of a "backhander" as mechanics hate doing "come back" jobs as they are "no profit for time spent" jobs

I get it. Threaten to slap him and things happen. :D

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

tell us what the niggling issues were and it will be easier to say if a mechanic should ahve been able to fix it.

If say you have a missfire once every now and again this may be very hard to find = lots of labour checking things and no result.
If say you have a ticking noise always when driving this should be easy to diagnose.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

I think that if you've given the guy an open brief...."see if you can fix it" ....without any sort of "let me have rough ideas on what you will be charging"...then you are obliged to pay for any parts that the guy reasonable swopped out to try to fix it...

and....if you've picked it up and paid then "the moments lost" I don't think its reasonable to ring him back and ask for a discount UNLESS he told you that the issues were fixed...but that you discovered they then weren't.

in that case...I would take it back and expect that the issues were fixed / attempted within the fee.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

danmetallic
Trader

Post by danmetallic »

Interesting points from everyone, thank you!

Well, the two issues were/are:

1. Squeaking/noisy breaks under heaving breaking (this he said was fixed)
2. Kangerooing and loss of power with idleing revs all over the place after about 2-3 of driving (this I'm fully expecting to be ongoing as it's hard to diagnose and test when it hardly ever happens)
3. (And this is where most of the labour was, for something relatively minor) knocking noise usually under breaking or deceleration (he couldn't find anything)

Parts for minor things I agreed beforehand.

I think I will just give him a ring and see what he says. He been brilliant with everything else and everyone I know recommends him.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

1. Squeaking/noisy breaks under heaving breaking (this he said was fixed)
seized caliper, unsieze and copper slip the pads ...10 mins

2. Kangerooing and loss of power with idleing revs all over the place after about 2-3 of driving (this I'm fully expecting to be ongoing as it's hard to diagnose and test when it hardly ever happens)

not an injection bloke

3. (And this is where most of the labour was, for something relatively minor) knocking noise usually under breaking or deceleration (he couldn't find anything)
CV joints usualy time depends on ease of removal

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Post by mark »

remove the afm and give it a good blast of electrical contact cleaner and clean all the electrical contacts and earths. if its a dj that is

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

danmetallic
Trader

Post by danmetallic »

Thanks Mark and Kev!

Bigfootedboarder
80-90 Mem No: 11965

Post by Bigfootedboarder »

As a tech of 26 yrs, charging for something that isn't / wasn't fixed I'd expect it back and not recharge for any works done to cure any faults, and not phoning to gain any authority is a big no no, doesn't do anything for your rep that takes years to build up and only minutes to ruin
Hope that helps, if I were you I'd phone and explain your disappointment with the situation and he should offer to fix/rectify or you can take it further

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Bigfootedboarder wrote:As a tech of 26 yrs, charging for something that isn't / wasn't fixed I'd expect it back and not recharge for any works done to cure any faults, and not phoning to gain any authority is a big no no, doesn't do anything for your rep that takes years to build up and only minutes to ruin
Hope that helps, if I were you I'd phone and explain your disappointment with the situation and he should offer to fix/rectify or you can take it further

A bit late now this thread is 6 months old :shock:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

danmetallic
Trader

Post by danmetallic »

Still useful knowledge though.