alloy pollishing

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rikg24
80-90 Mem No: 12226

alloy pollishing

Post by rikg24 »

Any one polished there alloys any tips any products ive bought some amg style alloys and want to highly polish the outer rims :D

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: alloy pollishing

Post by ghost123uk »

Trouble with this is they are usually coated with a clear lacquer and if you start polishing them with metal polish like Solvolauotsol it will just damage the lacquer and make them look a mess.

If you want to get them full on shiny, I think you will need to take them to a wheel re-furb place and get them what I believe is called "diamond cut". If you want a full on mirror shine, you would then need to polish them with metal polish very often and not use them in the winter. I don't know if mirror shiny wheels can be lacquered (to protect them from corrosion and to save polishing them all the time) - someone here will though ;)

E D I T = found this write up about it HERE (You got me looking because I might be doing similar to our Sciroccos P-slots :))
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

once they are polished or d cut you could get them pwder coated in clear laqueur....in theory the laquer will maintain the finish. ( we use it on raw unpainted parts for customers)

i was tempted to do the same with some wheels for the wifes bug.....but in the end i went silver and clear coat....just to avoid the polishing cost / time.

professional chemical stripping is a great way of getting them back to base.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Nice Dude
80-90 Mem No: 7327

Post by Nice Dude »

Alloy polishing is hard wrk but very rewarding. I have been polishing for few years now mainly motorbike wheels, frames and alloy parts with great success that's ended up doing lots for people and recently the BBS alloys on my van. You can do it yourself with the right equipment but be prepared to put the time in, and its very messy!!

You need to take the metal back with low grade wet n dry paper, usually a 120, working up to a 800, the fine sanding with 1200. Depending on how bad your wheels are will determine how much work you need to put into it but the secret with polishing is in the prep work. Once you have got it smooth and flat, you the are ready to move onto bringing out the shine. Fr this you will need 3 polishing mops and the 3 graded & coloured pastes. I would recommend you visit http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as I get all mine from there, the do starter kits that are more than adequate. You will need a drill with a good speed on it (powered not battery type) or ideally a bench grinder with changeable wheel that will take a mop. Starting off with the coarse compound and working up to the fine finishing compound will bring a very pleasing chrome like shine in front of you. I love alloy polishing and have done a lot f it over the years but it is time consuming, and messy. The other suggestion I can give is you treat n clean the finished wheel with Belgum Alu, this cleaned and puts a protective layer on the polished wheel.

If you want any more help drop me a mail, good luck!
Rob

Ning
80-90 Mem No: 12066

Post by Ning »

Thanks for the Belgom Alu tip. Just ordered some. :ok

rikg24

Post by rikg24 »

well ive made a start and im well chuffed £80 for wheels £30 for paint £10 for centres here a before and after 1 down 3 to go :D

Nice Dude
80-90 Mem No: 7327

Post by Nice Dude »

Nice work! Hard work I know but the results are there!! Don't forget to treat them in begum alu!!

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

Looking good.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

rikg24

Post by rikg24 »

Nice Dude wrote:Nice work! Hard work I know but the results are there!! Don't forget to treat them in begum alu!!
Just read up about this product only lasts a few weeks so was going to clear lacquer them ..

faggie

Post by faggie »

i would not clear laquer them if they get chips or any damage it will start to corrode behind laquer, and then you will have to strip them again better of just to give them a polish every few weeks should be easy enough as you only have the outer rim to keep polished nice job

faggie

Post by faggie »

i would not clear laquer them if they get chips or any damage it will start to corrode behind laquer, and then you will have to strip them again better of just to give them a polish every few weeks should be easy enough as you only have the outer rim to keep polished nice job

Krugerbaydesign
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Krugerbaydesign »

Once you have polished them, put a coat of Jetseal on them, protects the wheels really well, you can also use it on the Van paint work.

I polish my split rims with Mothers Mag and Aluminium polish then given em a good coat of Jetseal. You can find both products online as Halfrauds dont sell it.
Paul Hawkins
Kruger bay Design
http://www.krugerbayclothing.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VW Print Design
Tel: 0770 2071820

rikg24

Post by rikg24 »

Krugerbaydesign wrote:Once you have polished them, put a coat of Jetseal on them, protects the wheels really well, you can also use it on the Van paint work.

I polish my split rims with Mothers Mag and Aluminium polish then given em a good coat of Jetseal. You can find both products online as Halfrauds dont sell it.
any idea how long it lasts??

Ning
80-90 Mem No: 12066

Post by Ning »

Once they start looking like they could do with a polish again. Try Brasso. It's effortless in getting through the dullness. Ready for Mass or Belgum Alu. :ok
Ok, I'll struggle on 'til lunge time!

1990 Atlantic Pop Top 1.6 TD

paulgg
80-90 Mem No: 7020

Post by paulgg »

I have the same wheels, they were in a state when I got them, but didn't moan, as I had them given, went down the route of alloy wheel refurb companies, but they couldn't do the finish I wanted, plus it was £35 a wheel, & I had five !, so I masked the centres up, cos they painted "spokes" we're fine, then I paint striped the lacquer of the polished rims !, then hand polished the rims with autosol !!, the wheels have been on my van for well over a year now, in all weathers, & I just re-polish the rims every now & then to keep em shiny ! :ok

Before :shock:

During :(

After :ok

On the van :ok :ok