Retractable Awnings

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ning
80-90 Mem No: 12066

Retractable Awnings

Post by Ning »

Ok. So having bought the new bus. I'm are thinking how useful a roll out would be. I can see the bus used to have one fitted.
I've seen a Fiamma F45L on a T25. Heavy?/cumbersome? The Fiamma site seem to be suggesting the F35pro.
On the T5 anyway. Obviously I'd like it to be as light as possible. They (F35) come in lengths up to 3m.
Anyone got the knowledge of these?. ie optimum length. :? Pitfalls in fitting/ownership.
And best place to get a deal!! eBay not much different from Fiamma.
Ta muchly :ok
Ok, I'll struggle on 'til lunge time!

1990 Atlantic Pop Top 1.6 TD

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Re: Retractable Awnings

Post by keith »

the cassete ones...like the fiamma or omnistor are the way to go.

they are expensive and heavy but they do exactly what you need them to do with no dramas.

i wouldnt be without mine....
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

New....then Fiamma because they are cheaper and pretty much have the same features as the more expensive Omnistor.
Size: In the wind outs, 2.5m looks great but can leave the sliding door slightly exposed. 3.0 metres comes over the door a little more so gives that little bit more protection in the rain, however, in my opinion doesn't look quite so good when wound in.

I'm pretty sure the F45S is the latest wind out awning for the T25 from Fiamma however you might just pick up last seasons F45Ti at a cheaper price.

So....Fiamma...
F45 is the hard case type with winding handle (the best in my opinion)
F35 is hard case but the awning has to be pulled out and rolled back in by hand.
Caravanstor has a zip Vinyl poach with pull out and roll back manual awning.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

I've been researching Fiammas myself, with a view to buying one for the coming summer. Maybe someone can put my mind to rest over one thing? If you buy the 3m length awning (for that extra coverage), doesn't the passenger door catch on the awning, if it's opened?
Also, any reason why you shouldn't buy a second hand one, if you can see it working?
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Ning

Post by Ning »

Excellent. Thanks folks. Great lot of info. More to think about I'm thinkingI'll go for the f45 due to ease of use, especially on your own.
Want a black one though. :?: :ok

California Dreamin

tforturton wrote:I've been researching Fiammas myself, with a view to buying one for the coming summer. Maybe someone can put my mind to rest over one thing? If you buy the 3m length awning (for that extra coverage), doesn't the passenger door catch on the awning, if it's opened?
Also, any reason why you shouldn't buy a second hand one, if you can see it working?

The 2.5 metre F45 does go completely over the sliding door to about the B pillar, however, a side wind can bring the rain in from an angle....
The 3.0 metre just extends a little bit more over the front door so even rain at an angle is unlikely to enter the sliding door.

No....the longer version will in no way interfere with the opening front door.
No reason why you shouldn't buy second hand, however, they are so sort after the saving won't be much (second hand prices are high)

The brackets are also pretty expensive, around £58.00 I seem to remember, dedicated to the T3 & Mazda Bongo. Also worth keeping an eye out for secon hand.

Never seen a black F45......I think you would have to have it painted yourself.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

The Bobdogs
80-90 Mem No: 6101

Post by The Bobdogs »

If you have the patience, trawl through ebay but just put 'caravan awning' as your search criteria...
It will come back with loads of items, but by doing this I picked up a virtually brand new 3m Omnistor awning for £175... :ok (and had a great weekend in Cromer when we went to fetch it)
'The Bobdogs'
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

07793 126323

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

I got a virtually brand new 2.5m F45 for £150 from the yard about 4 years ago. Had a nice curry in Bradford too when I collected it.

Over the last 8 years I have just kept my eyes peeled for bargains as the luxurys can be got at bargain prices if you don't rush into things

Similar story for my RHD square lights and grill (£75), Front spoiler (£40), rear light blenders (£35), captains seats (£120), F45 awning (£150), merc 16" alloy with 6mm tyres (£150), mudflaps (£30) etc etc etc

Ning

Post by Ning »

Re black one. Fiamma site give it in the option box. But not 'currently available'. So probably never then.
Why tease? I presume the wind noise on the road isn't an issue? :ok

California Dreamin

No wind noise but can sometimes rattle. :lol:

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

The Bobdogs
80-90 Mem No: 6101

Post by The Bobdogs »

California Dreamin wrote:No wind noise but can sometimes rattle. :lol:

Martin

That's not your awning mate....that's Michelle..... :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
'The Bobdogs'
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

07793 126323