Water in footwell

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TravellingChick
80-90 Mem No: 5538

Re: Water in footwell

Post by TravellingChick »

Thanks Pat, I hear you but I told him I'd pay more for the seals to be replaced and he was adamant it wasn't necessary for all of them but he would for those that needed it.

He wanted a quick turn around is all, didn't want to be bothered with ordering seals in.

He and his employees must have known there were gaps in the seals when he returned it, which he very helpfully did by having his guys drive it back to me. After dark, in the middle of the week, about 9pm at night...............

I paid not much less than your van if I remember correctly :-(

happy Christmas to you and Jo and all the best for 2013 when I'm sure there will be many happy van memories to be made!!

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

That is poor workmanship Sarah. It looks as if they have not replaced rusted metal around the window edge. If that is the case it needs sorting quickly. My guys were not into fast turnover and were into doing a quality job and were recommended to me by a club member. A month time estimate turned into two months. I paid just over £5K for the total work done. The original quote was £3K until the paint was sand blasted off. Horror stuff underneath and several new panels needed etc. As you know they did a great job and I am happy to recommend them (as is Mike at Chiswick Car Craft). They also carried out remedial work following the hailstone damage last summer. They even fixed niggly things that were not part of the main job.

Have your guys agreed to finish the job properly? They should do.

Pat

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Its no bother whipping a windscreen out and fitting a new rubber, me and Lloyd will do it for you if you drive the van round ours when you get back. I have done quite a few now but if its never been out then expect holes under the rubber seal.

This shows the technique http://campervanculture.com/2011/05/fit ... indscreen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

screens not ben out jed :roll:
mm

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

It still needs to come out thought and sealing properly :wink:

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

TravellingChick
80-90 Mem No: 5538

Post by TravellingChick »

Cool thanks Jed, I'll FB you :-)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

jed the spread wrote:It still needs to come out thought and sealing properly :wink:

Jed
err i was saying that i suspect it has not been removed when the muppet did what he did to the van and hence taking it out and refitting with a new seal is one thing , but I suspect as we seem to , that there will be problems found under it so looks like you and L have gotta a job :rofl
mm

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

TravellingChick wrote:Cool thanks Jed, I'll FB you :-)

No worries. If your lucky and it has only just started to leak like that and there is no rust holes in the corners or bottom edge the best thing to do, (I would have thought with my limited experience) is to seal it. If it does have holes or serious rust then at least we can fit it back after some photos have been taken showing a bad seal that needed replacing (as per original bodywork quote) and give you ammo to approach the body shop.

You never know but I once saw a fella (bodywork type chappy who works from a farm building that does cheap re sprays near us) pealing back window rubbers and tucking masking tape under then then sticking it down over the outer side of the rubber to save him taking windows out. This could have broke the old rubber seal maybe in some way if they did it to yours?

Anyway what ever it is I am happy to lend a hand to help you out and once step one is done you can push on and weigh up your options if nothing else :mrgreen:

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

indeed. take plenty of picks.especially close ups of the areas that needed work , i have copies and no doubt sarah has too, so easy enough to spot.
jed,its called lift off tape well havent got a roll to hand for the brand name. its used correctly on a lot of work , say a new vehicle with a ding and rather that strip a window out the paint edge is lost behind the rubber so to speak , done for tthhe right reasons its not a bodge, in thge same way that filler is not a bodge if its used to level a surface as opposed to filling a hole :lol:
mm :ok

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

I know a roll of masking tape when I see it, especially when pulled from a Wickes plastic bag.... Like I said "he" used masking tape :P

Jed :ok
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

For mine he just didn't spray high enough to bother with the windows. He did like his filler though :lol:
Cheap though, and has lasted a few years.....
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

I have a spare screen you can have for free just incase yours breaks on removal.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

ah jed . not what i was saying , your fella could have used flypaper for all you or I care, i was stating that there is a product for that specific purpose, as opposed to saying you were mistaken in what you saw, :rofl :rofl
as for breaking a screen , ??? stanley knife them out and new rubber to hand.and ^^^ has one in the dire event of :oops:
even in best case scenario, when i take a window out and am met with no holes (sheer joy and rarity mind'st) there will usually be a bit of surface rust and this you do remove and paint over, be daft and sloppy not to. cant wait to see the picks
mm

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:I have a spare screen you can have for free just incase yours breaks on removal.

Nice one mate, that takes a lot of the pressure off. When we did Robs Westy and cut the rubber and removed the screen very carefully it was fine. it was then stored in a very safe corner of the workshop for a couple of weeks and then moved carefully to the van and across to the front and it just cracked :shock: It was a bloody blue tint one as well :roll: The one thats in my van now is from my old 2wd camper and was just chucked in the shed, been moved around loads and left on top of stuff etc and its been fine.

Nice to know there is one in reserve down the road if it cracks but hopefully it wont be needed :ok

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

that is just life, you could have wrapped the bugger in cotton wool and it still would choose its own time to bust and if you were to kick one out of a scrapper it would bounce down the road and be fine....
mm