Water in footwell

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Re: Water in footwell

Post by dbz864 »

Were you happy with it before it started leaking,which is the main thing?
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

TravellingChick
80-90 Mem No: 5538

Post by TravellingChick »

A few niggles but yeh it looks ok.

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Post by mark »

dbz864 wrote:Were you happy with it before it started leaking,which is the main thing?

i think the main thing is that the (for want of a better word) repairer has done a p*** poor job and traveling chick has been left with a van that will be back to where it was by the time the sun starts to shine............. if it ever starts to shine again.

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

Depends on how the van was before it was done!And how much was paid if he spent 4k id agree,if he spent 1k? Did the repairer say he would try to reuse the seals and cut the odd corner to try to save the customer some money? I dont know all the facts and dont want to know how much he paid for the job.Like most people on here he perhaps hasnt got a mint van to start with and proberly hasnt got £3.5k+ to spend on paint.Perhaps he just wants to have a respectable looking camper that he can use.Like i said,if he is happy before it leaked......Period! :ok
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

TravellingChick

The point is the guy viewed my camper and we agreed a price. I was clear about the seals and he said he'd repair where poss and replace where not.

There was a fair bit of work to be done and let's just say I paid more than I did when I bought the van 4 years ago!

The quote was in line with the two other places I got quotes from.

I want to preserve my van and enjoy using it and not be worried about it leaking not to mention the money I've paid!!

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Actually read the thread, there is mention of window rubbers at various times.
I actually think it does matter if it's a bad job but she's happy. It can take a educated eye to spot underlying problems, that Tchick might think is fine.
@Tchick, try and get up to box hill on new years day. There will be a few of us up there who could have a look over it for you, and maybe offer up a opinion or two..
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Spooky, posted at the same time as me!

TravellingChick

I agree, I'm fed up with being ripped off by unscrupulous people just because I'm not knowledgable in mechanics of bodywork.

I'm away at NY I'm afraid Lloydy :-(

Thanks tho, maybe there'll be a south east 80-90 meet early in 2013 I can get to.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Could always maybe arrange something, even if just to meet up for the day. Lots of local members who I'm sure would be happy to have a look.
You need to mention something to the guy who did it as well. Then if you manage to meet up with some of us, we could give you some points to bring up when you take the van back.

TravellingChick

I'll be in touch with him immediately after Xmas and let you know how I get on!

Deffo would be good to get some you more knowledgeable guys have a look too.

Thanks Lloydy, appreciate it.

:-)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

forearmed so get the info before the call visit else wool over eyes and bull**** will come forth
mm

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

TravellingChick, I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your predicament. I am a novice and have been taken for a ride due to lack of knowledge from 'reputable' trades folk and know how that left me feeling. I sincerely hope the rest of your van is a solid job and this is just a blip. I do know that people on here will give you lots of advice.

I know how gutted I would be - I have no answers, just sending support.

Helen x
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

TravellingChick

Thanks Helen.

The frustration of a job poorly done and the time and effort it takes to get these things done.

Tbh I think the body work is good. Cut corners have been disappointing in the finish like the door cards.

Nothing is the end of the world but the guy has deliberately tried to save money and time by not replacing the rubbers.

I don't like being taken for an fool but I won't let people like him stop me seeing the good in people either.

TC

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

good luck in getting it sorted,pick some brains,as they say forwarned is forarmed,I think that is how the saying goes :?
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Hi Sarah. So sorry about the mess. The guys that did mine used the old seals but they would have replaced them if necessary. You just have to pay more for the work to be done as seals are expensive. The work done to mine was still expensive but it was done properly. I guess they were trying to do the work within a fixed budget. That is always going to be a problem. Are they going to fix the bad workmanship?

Jo and I send our yuletide regard to you and Tabitha. See you in the new year.
:ok
Patrick