LED rear lights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

LED rear lights

Post by T3luestar »

With the winter just around the corner, the van will be getting used alot more during darkness. So just wondering will it be worth investing in some LED's. Are they any brighter, so seen easier? Is there any issues with using them in place of regular indicator bulbs
Cheers for any advice.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Re: LED rear lights

Post by Hacksawbob »

I have a feeling covkid did his, and I think he even shelled out real money for them rather than making them from an old fairy liquid bottle or something. From memory, you need to use red in the brakes not white.
member 1168

T3luestar

Post by T3luestar »

I've read somewhere that some are not as bright as the filament bulbs. As I'm running with smoked lenses, I wanted to use the brightest bulbs possible.
So I'll not bother with the tin foil and kit kat wrapper then!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

heck if your that worried abouit being seen in winter refit std rear lights on till the good.lol weather returns
mm

T3luestar

Post by T3luestar »

:D
I can't put the standard lights back on, I've sold 'em!!!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

:rofl :rofl :rofl
someone loan this man a set
mm

Pootle
80-90 Mem No: 11213

Post by Pootle »

Not worth it. I took the reflectors off and really cleaned them in soapy water which cleaned quite a lot of crap from the inside, that DID make a difference!
Pootle
1989 1.9DG wasserboxer

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Thanks to Hacksawbob for PM'ing me into this thread.

Ok, here goes. Only certain types of LED lighting are really any use for exterior lights and at the moment they're far too expensive for what they are. LED brake lights used on rally cars are brilliant but easily in the hundreds rather than a few pounds. You can get white high-brightness ones but really you need to either replace a complete lens assembly with something more modern or fit LED arrays (flat panels) in converted T25 light assemblies.

The bulbs you get on ebay don't last long and are just too directional to be of any use. If you buy those you will be very disappointed.

Front LED sidelight bulb replacements are ok as the headlight reflector helps spread the light but on the back you'll hit problems - at least with what is available right now. To make any improvement it means some serious modifications and a big shift away from stock bulb holders. Without such changes the LED bulb arrays that fit stock holders don't fill the lens with light and if anything, you actually get less light output than filament bulbs and even less life from the bulbs. Number plate lights can be converted to LEDs no prob. Its just rear tail/brake/indicator lights that are an issue and without those, its all a bit pointless. I even tried looking at Iveco truck lights (ie to replace stock T25 rear lights) but it just looked naff.

I think we have to wait a while longer before the technology is really up to it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

T3luestar

Post by T3luestar »

Thanks for the informative reply CovKid. Don't have a problem with the standard set up, but just thought the LED's was an easy upgrade.
Thanks again for the reply.
:ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Its also worth noting that although we generally use clear tungsten bulbs in most light fittings, including say a brake or tail light, when you change to LED bulbs, with red lenses you have to use a red LED rather than a white one. You end up with very pale pink otherwise. This is not, to my knowledge, an issue with orange lenses such as indicator ones.

That said, T25 lights are not great as stock items, the voltage drop a particular problem without the use of relays on headlights. LED technology is constantly evolving with newer and brighter types being churned out every year. We need it frankly. I'm now using LED spotlight bulbs to help reduce energy costs at home - and they're already overtaking those awful energy bulbs in terms of light quality. The one I use on my desk is only 5 watt but at just under a fiver for the bulb it could be a while before I see a return on the investment...

Loads of info here though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

I am planning on replacing the following lights with led replacements on my Syncro....

Reversing lights
Numberplate lights
Tail & Brake lights
Interior lights
Indicators front and rear
Front side lights

Headlights & Main beam will be upgraded to sensible modern standards.

Now planning this, I could do with finding a reliable supplier that stocks the T25's led bulb replacements.

Anyone know of anywhere?
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

I belive indicates are current device on older wiring and adverts state a load resister may be needed, I cannot see any advantage on doing indicators the others to reduce current yes.
Nic
2.1 Twin slider

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

nicq wrote:I cannot see any advantage on doing indicators the others to reduce current yes.
Nic

Because they are all most fit and forget!!!! No one fits um to save electric its as there a longer lasting light!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

Good point but slapping a 20 watt resistor in parallel is more reliable ?

Nic
2.1 Twin slider

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

That's exactly why I will be converting to less, reliability, and higher performance.

I converted one of my old cars when back in the UK, and it make quite a substantial improvement. I also converted all my dash illumination too, which I will also be doing in my Syncro.
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.