Syncro performance

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cooper
80-90 Mem No: 10699

Re: Syncro performance

Post by Cooper »

Aidan wrote:with only rear drive and difflock on you may find yourself going sideways, not a good idea

get the VC tested and get it sorted if necessary, refit the prop and get it back into standard syncro spec and it is an extremely capable vehicle as noted, excellent in snow and icy conditions when driven with due care and understanding

Jenny imho you must go and see Clive, sooner rather than later, and come along to one of our events where you can learn what these vehicles can and can't do and some skills and techniques for getting the best out of them. We don't bite, apart from Alex obviously :lol: , we are all on your side and will help you to enjoy syncro ownership, but just engaging with us occasionally online won't really get you any closer to enjoying and having confidence in your bus and until you achieve that you'll continue in the state in which you are - the spring event is particularly aimed at new owners wanting to learn some skills and is likely to be within a couple of hours of where you live

Its a little worring if i go sideways. Oddly enough my little ford fiesta was awsome in the snow, never had a problem. I think its also driving skill that it all comes down to. Which i have a lot lot more to learn.

Im going to see when me and clive can arrange a meet.

Im planning on going to a few events soonish. Check out all the syncros out there.

taigagreen
80-90 Mem No: 9831

Post by taigagreen »

We've had snow a couple of weeks now. I am very happy with my new studded Cooper Discoverers!
Syncros are amazing in snow. Only limiting factors are ground clearance and torque. I've just driven a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 with 4.2 litre diesel, air suspension, autobox, leather interior etc. Very nice but it is not 20 times better than my doka, even though its priced like it. Does have more torque though.

If you are on facebook, there are some pics of syncros and snow on Arctic Circle VW Bus Association
Now
88 Westfalia syncro AAZ i/c
91 Caravelle syncro DJ
89 doka syncro DJ
89 Westfalia California JX
84 Reimo Camper 1.9 WBX
90 Caravelle Coach JX
98 Sharan 110hp TDi

Cooper
80-90 Mem No: 10699

Post by Cooper »

taigagreen wrote:We've had snow a couple of weeks now. I am very happy with my new studded Cooper Discoverers!
Syncros are amazing in snow. Only limiting factors are ground clearance and torque. I've just driven a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 with 4.2 litre diesel, air suspension, autobox, leather interior etc. Very nice but it is not 20 times better than my doka, even though its priced like it. Does have more torque though.

If you are on facebook, there are some pics of syncros and snow on Arctic Circle VW Bus Association

Land cruisers are cool. Guy who lives opposite me has one with a mighty nice winch set-up.
My syncro is only a 1.9td but it drives nice.

Yeh i have FB ill check it out. Cheers

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

Any A/T tyre in packed snow/ drifts will be fine. Ice is a different matter altogether. Ask the Scandanavians why they dont use A/T tyres on ice. Don't drive in 2wd with a locker on as you will most likely spin
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

taigagreen
80-90 Mem No: 9831

Post by taigagreen »

syncropaddy wrote:Any A/T tyre in packed snow/ drifts will be fine. Ice is a different matter altogether. Ask the Scandanavians why they dont use A/T tyres on ice. Don't drive in 2wd with a locker on as you will most likely spin

Hmmm. Not entirely true. A/Ts dont perform well in snow. They are at best tolerable under careful driving. But they simply are to hard to do anything well on snow. My experience is limited to BFG AT, Cooper Discoverer, Pirelli Scorpion AT, BFG MT, Toyo Cross Country AT and none of these are good enough to use on snow safely. You need softer rubber and more sipes. Some say you can get reasonable performance from BFG ATs if you have them siped. Dont see the point when there are lots of great tires available.
Now
88 Westfalia syncro AAZ i/c
91 Caravelle syncro DJ
89 doka syncro DJ
89 Westfalia California JX
84 Reimo Camper 1.9 WBX
90 Caravelle Coach JX
98 Sharan 110hp TDi

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

taigagreen wrote:
syncropaddy wrote:Any A/T tyre in packed snow/ drifts will be fine. Ice is a different matter altogether. Ask the Scandanavians why they dont use A/T tyres on ice. Don't drive in 2wd with a locker on as you will most likely spin

Hmmm. Not entirely true. A/Ts dont perform well in snow. They are at best tolerable under careful driving. But they simply are to hard to do anything well on snow. My experience is limited to BFG AT, Cooper Discoverer, Pirelli Scorpion AT, BFG MT, Toyo Cross Country AT and none of these are good enough to use on snow safely. You need softer rubber and more sipes. Some say you can get reasonable performance from BFG ATs if you have them siped. Dont see the point when there are lots of great tires available.

At last a voice of experience !! My comment above was designed to weed someone from Scandanavia out to discuss this!

I have said many times on this forum that A/T and M/T are not snow/winter tyres. Even though some BFG A/T tyres have the snowflake on the sidewall, BFG do not recommend them for winter use. However there are quite a few members here who know better than the tyre manufacturers and say otherwise. Its all very well getting places in heavy snow with 4WD and A/T tyres but try going down a steep hill on wet ice and you'll soon find out that A/T tyres are not winter tyres. The levels of grip offered by proper winter tyres on wet ice is astonishing - with or without studs.

You have echo'd what I have said all along - its the rubber compound and thread sipes that make a winter tyre.
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship