Is it wrong to go pop top?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ropeman23
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Is it wrong to go pop top?

Post by ropeman23 »

lhd wrote:I have only seen one copy of a Westy roof and you could tell straight away that it was a copy, is it flocked on the inside?
Did you get the aluminium strips with it for the canvas?
If your not sure it probably is an original roof.
Rob.

Had a look at it today. Yes it's flocked on the inside, it's a bit stained, but I'm sure it'll clean up well. I've got the aluminium strips as well. And I think the canvas is original too.
Phil

Kemlo
80-90 Mem No: 10179

Post by Kemlo »

lhd wrote:Mr Hulley is quite correct and sadly theres no may in it.
It can be made to fit, the proper way is to get the steel roof,drill out all the spot welds and weld the roof pressing in place.
Otherwise you have to bodge it.

As you can see in the pics below there is a flat recess, that the frame and the bed boards fit into. without this you have a flat bed on an arched roof.

Hope this helps?
If not it will at least give you food for thought.
iirc Lance on here was doing a fibre glass piece that molded to the roof arch giving you a flat surface to place your bed on.
It can be done DIY, but it will look very unsightly to say the least.
Rob.

My Van is a Mosaik Joker, the roof is the curved steel variety, but my bed is nice and flat? Am I missing something (or not as the case may be?) - I'm in it today at work so I'll pop out later and have a look. Just curious...

ropeman23

Post by ropeman23 »

Hi Kemlo, any info and or pictures would be great if you get a chance. Phil

Kemlo

Post by Kemlo »

Will get some pics up tomorrow night.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

To make a flat bed in a standard T25 panel van/Velle stylee roof you need 4" x 1" in the gutter each side and a piece of 2" x 1" screwed to that sat on the roof inside each of those, there should be a 1/2" difference in the height of the 2 pieces. Brace across at both ends and before and after the access hole, if you then place a sheet of 1/2" ply across the roof that should sit flush in the rebate and also sit on the crown of the steel roof. IIRC it's 47.5" wide and a bugger to maul into place in one piece on your own.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

lance
80-90 Mem No: 3771

Post by lance »

hi having done loads of mozaic conversions for poptops ,i think you would still have to fit a frame (like we do )to take the lifting bar or the height will be wrong,(do not fit gas rams)
i now can supply all parts for westy roofs ,h bars,rear hinges,bolts and caps,and new for next season coloured canvas or printed to match your van
if you need any help please drop me a pm, advice is always free :ok
its a easy job so dont panic

lance

Post by lance »

you just need to do this

ropeman23

Post by ropeman23 »

Ian Hulley wrote:To make a flat bed in a standard T25 panel van/Velle stylee roof you need 4" x 1" in the gutter each side and a piece of 2" x 1" screwed to that sat on the roof inside each of those, there should be a 1/2" difference in the height of the 2 pieces. Brace across at both ends and before and after the access hole, if you then place a sheet of 1/2" ply across the roof that should sit flush in the rebate and also sit on the crown of the steel roof. IIRC it's 47.5" wide and a bugger to maul into place in one piece on your own.

Ian

I had to read that a few times, but I think I've got it now. Thanks for the info.

ropeman23

Post by ropeman23 »

lance wrote:hi having done loads of mozaic conversions for poptops ,i think you would still have to fit a frame (like we do )to take the lifting bar or the height will be wrong,(do not fit gas rams)
i now can supply all parts for westy roofs ,h bars,rear hinges,bolts and caps,and new for next season coloured canvas or printed to match your van
if you need any help please drop me a pm, advice is always free :ok
its a easy job so dont panic

What's wrong with using gas struts? Do they not work very well? That bed in the picture looks great do you sell those and the frame for the lifting bar seperately?

lance

Post by lance »

gas struts are not as stable as a h bar they twist with the slightest movement ,i would never put my kids in the roof of a van with them fitted, having seen what happens when they fail (or blow)
still i thought fitting them from a complete roof kit off fleebay, to a t4 would be better ..........i regret buying a roof from a company called uk poptops uk if there t4 roofs are that bad i dread to see there t25 westy roofs(gas rams)
(i am not the only person to complain ,but the owner denies any problems)
back to t25s
yes all parts can be sourced for westy roofs from us bit by bit if needed (if you want pics pm me)ill put them back on here :ok

Kemlo

Post by Kemlo »

What I have in my Van looks very similar to that of Lances pics. With the canvas in place I can't really get any better shots.

We're away next week camping, so I'll have a look and try to post some pics up next weekend when we're back of anything that looks different.

I had seen that some people have fitted gas struts in addition to the H Bar - to make the top easier to pop. I always thought that would be a good idea.

lance

Post by lance »

yeah lift assist units i will be doing those for owners with canoes or luggage on top

ropeman23

Post by ropeman23 »

lance wrote:gas struts are not as stable as a h bar they twist with the slightest movement ,i would never put my kids in the roof of a van with them fitted, having seen what happens when they fail (or blow)
still i thought fitting them from a complete roof kit off fleebay, to a t4 would be better ..........i regret buying a roof from a company called uk poptops uk if there t4 roofs are that bad i dread to see there t25 westy roofs(gas rams)
(i am not the only person to complain ,but the owner denies any problems)
back to t25s
yes all parts can be sourced for westy roofs from us bit by bit if needed (if you want pics pm me)ill put them back on here :ok

Jeez! I had no idea when I've seen them fitted that they were the only thing holding the roof up. I thought they were used as well as the H bar. Completely understand.