Syncro Karmann Gypsy

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Syncro Karmann Gypsy

Post by jes*b »

Also on the missus's shopping list. I know how Neil feels! anyway do we know anyone with one for a look see? I did get a whisper that one might be for sale somewhere (europe? america?) but the link on Karmann Coachbuilt was taken down quickly understandably. Anyway looking at all options at mo. The demand for space and what Jed referred to as 'the shower factor' :ok are a high on the wants list, seems a blow up mattress in the back of the NATO just didn't cut it :(

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Re: Syncro Karmann Gypsy

Post by axeman »

blow up mattress and a leaking vindic may be?

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Im going to try it in Devon, bringing the dogs for warmth.

taigagreen
80-90 Mem No: 9831

Post by taigagreen »

A friend of mine in Norway has this: http://vwbus.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... it=karmann

It is 16" custom ordered Karmann Gipsy in Danish Army green. The original owner was a Danish priest with a history from the danish army. So there.

He has been talking about selling it but its probably hard to make the decision. He has three 16" and a bunch of other T3s...
Now
88 Westfalia syncro AAZ i/c
91 Caravelle syncro DJ
89 doka syncro DJ
89 Westfalia California JX
84 Reimo Camper 1.9 WBX
90 Caravelle Coach JX
98 Sharan 110hp TDi

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Gypos and Flow-ridas don't appeal to the mem'sahib so I've no worries there: "Eugh! That's ugly" was the first and last of it, even though I said that they have a proper "bathroom".

No pleasing some people!

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

taigagreen wrote:A friend of mine in Norway has this: http://vwbus.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... it=karmann

It is 16" custom ordered Karmann Gipsy in Danish Army green. The original owner was a Danish priest with a history from the danish army. So there.

He has been talking about selling it but its probably hard to make the decision. He has three 16" and a bunch of other T3s...

Twenty.
Seven.
Thousand.
Pounds.

<gulp>
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

jes*b wrote:Also on the missus's shopping list. I know how Neil feels! anyway do we know anyone with one for a look see? I did get a whisper that one might be for sale somewhere (europe? america?) but the link on Karmann Coachbuilt was taken down quickly understandably. Anyway looking at all options at mo. The demand for space and what Jed referred to as 'the shower factor' :ok are a high on the wants list, seems a blow up mattress in the back of the NATO just didn't cut it :(

It all depends on where your planning to travel to Jes with regards the, "shower factor" :lol:

Personally like I said on the phone if it was just yourself and your Mrs I dont think you could do any better than a hightop Westy with a TDI if you are doing some serious to middling travel, I have seen what those Karmann jobbies are made of and I would quite confidently say I would have shaken one to peaces in the many many trips I do outside Club 80-90 Syncronauts with my Family and Friends and their Families. You stick the bog in the Westy bog box, but I have found these to get in the way as they are to big so opted for the smaller but much more useful multi van seat that matches the existing seats perfectly, I have adapted it to fold down and take a loo. If you dont have a shower set up what we found was handy on our many trips round Europe as a Family was one of those Gorilla tubs and a small jug inside the van, like they have in most places in Asia, just stand over it half full of water and away you go just do your twig and berries last :wink:
I know I dont go to many Syncronauts meetings due to me going away with my Family and Friends lots more for longer periods but if our paths do cross at a meet one time I will show you around and I will pop on board some of the things we carry while on our travels that make things very comfortable indeed. I am not one for setting up shanty town for a night and carrying round a load of unnecessary sh!te about the place so everything we carry is light weight, necessary, and as much as posable be more than duel purpose, I really decent Syncro camper kitted out properly could work for you.

One of the things that work for us as a Family while traveling is a clip on room that clips to the tail gate when open, we have a 20l black water container that gets the water inside bloody hot when there is decent sun shine. You pop in 12v shower and you get 7 minutes of hot water, if you turn it off when your soaping yourself up then you can do at least 2 people.

Jake bought a heat exchanger that plumbs into your engine water pipes from Australia that he hasn't fitted yet but you could easily run a shower through that :idea If you look at this video clip 4:56 onward you can see my Son Isaac using our solar shower when we toured Europe as a Family last year for a month when most of the kids in our area had to make do with a Sunday trip down to the local jungle gym :lol: , http://campervanculture.com/2011/10/tra ... an-part-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know that a Syncro isnt the most amazing of roader in the world and if pushed just a little to far it will break somewhere but it is IMHO the ideal platform for a self contained camper driven sensibly and will get you to some amazing places. I personally wouldnt go down the coach build route if it is constructed of 3x2, fiberglass and ply :shock: and if you go anything bigger you are not as nimble. I have been following and communicating with this Family since they set off last year and they have what looks like an ideal truck for the trip they are doing but because of the size of it (maybe like the LT?) you are far more likely to get in to trouble if ground is soft and you can get stuck or worse case roll the truck, have a quick read...

http://jusalulu.com/category/pakistan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe cash in your other two vans Jes and get something more suitable for you and your Family?

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Jed, thanks for that, I'd love to take a tour/ spin , maybe when I collect the wheel. It really is a question of room. I have had a barn door splitty, a late bay, a t3 holds worth and a t4 holds worth and plenty of trips in my bro's Westy joker . All brilliant campers in their way when there was 2 of us, now there are 4 plus 2 Labradors . Nothing will be big enough I guess and as you say, when it is, you suffer in other ways. It's always going to be a compromise somewhere along the line .
Anyway it's all speculative at this stage, consultation purposes as it were.

Oh and by they way you had me in the palm of your hand until the 'cash in' the other two vans :shock: :shock:

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

Jed .... you have a shovel in your shower. Is this for medical reasons or did you forget to pack it away with your gimp mask ?
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

taigagreen
80-90 Mem No: 9831

Post by taigagreen »

jes*b wrote:Also on the missus's shopping list. I know how Neil feels! anyway do we know anyone with one for a look see? I did get a whisper that one might be for sale somewhere (europe? america?) but the link on Karmann Coachbuilt was taken down quickly understandably. Anyway looking at all options at mo. The demand for space and what Jed referred to as 'the shower factor' :ok are a high on the wants list, seems a blow up mattress in the back of the NATO just didn't cut it :(

That NATO canopy: I can help you with that :D
Now
88 Westfalia syncro AAZ i/c
91 Caravelle syncro DJ
89 doka syncro DJ
89 Westfalia California JX
84 Reimo Camper 1.9 WBX
90 Caravelle Coach JX
98 Sharan 110hp TDi

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

syncropaddy wrote:Jed .... you have a shovel in your shower. Is this for medical reasons or did you forget to pack it away with your gimp mask ?

Its so I can hide my number two's in the ground.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

stevealex
80-90 Mem No: 10134

Post by stevealex »

Have you looked at the range of demountable campers around these days. Some of them could be quite promising for your doka as you get to keep the large cab but then have quite a lot of living area. Even pop top ones are available with toilets / showers and sleep four; with lots of them designed for overlanding. Although personally I think if you were going to seriously rough places, you would need the addition of a sprung mounting base for it.

Steve

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Taig. :rofl there's a list and I'd happily add you to it.... You would currently be residing in 4 th spot . Dont hold your breath :rofl :rofl although looking at the prices of some sort of campervan Syncro upgrade you never know ...

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

didn't busman have that coachbuilt 16"?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=105080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van