NORTHERN SPAIN PICOS DE EUROPA TOUR 2012

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

GoldSyncro
80-90 Mem No: 15422

Re: NORTHERN SPAIN PICOS DE EUROPA TOUR 2012

Post by GoldSyncro »

Don't think anyone drove. Considering the time and effort and the miles put on your van I would think the ferry is the best option.

Rob

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

mrmule wrote:Ferry is coming out at £578 for me and the fam. Did anyone drive down last year? That kind of money would go pretty far on fuel... I know its a tougher method of transport and a really long way, but worth considering...

I drove and made it an 11 day trip. Ferry Portsmouth to St. Malo and spent 4 days and 3 nights driving down W France and N Spain. Stayed on vineyard field margins for free ('Passion France' guide book for ~£25 from memory). Was a lot of driving but did get to see rural parts of France away from busy campsites. Glad I did it but if squeezed for time take the direct ferry, as you need at least 4 days to make it a worthwhile trip. I travel at 90kms so fairly slow and no more than 6 hours driving each day with long stops and detours hunting down French markets and sight-seeing opportunities. I stayed off toll roads through out France to keep it pleasant and insightful, but the windy non-toll roads through hilly N Spain would have added many, many hours to the day so choose to pay for fast freeway from the French border.

After a week of touring around Picos with Rob et al it was quite a relief to get on 24hr direct ferry going home, knowing I didn't have a 4 day drive ahead of me. By far the cheapest way is Santandar ferry both ways, as ferry Portsmouth to St. Malo plus 4 days driving plus Santandar ferry home was more expensive by £100s. I used AA website route finder to get idea of distances and calculated my fuel cost from there.

If you've got close to 2 weeks, slightly deeper pockets and fancy the adventure I'd recommend it.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

mrmule
80-90 Mem No: 10656

Post by mrmule »

syncropatrick wrote:I drove and made it an 11 day trip. Ferry Portsmouth to St. Malo and spent 4 days and 3 nights driving down W France and N Spain. Stayed on vineyard field margins for free ('Passion France' guide book for ~£25 from memory). Was a lot of driving but did get to see rural parts of France away from busy campsites. Glad I did it but if squeezed for time take the direct ferry, as you need at least 4 days to make it a worthwhile trip. I travel at 90kms so fairly slow and no more than 6 hours driving each day with long stops and detours hunting down French markets and sight-seeing opportunities. I stayed off toll roads through out France to keep it pleasant and insightful, but the windy non-toll roads through hilly N Spain would have added many, many hours to the day so choose to pay for fast freeway from the French border.

After a week of touring around Picos with Rob et al it was quite a relief to get on 24hr direct ferry going home, knowing I didn't have a 4 day drive ahead of me. By far the cheapest way is Santandar ferry both ways, as ferry Portsmouth to St. Malo plus 4 days driving plus Santandar ferry home was more expensive by £100s. I used AA website route finder to get idea of distances and calculated my fuel cost from there.

If you've got close to 2 weeks, slightly deeper pockets and fancy the adventure I'd recommend it.

Thats for your experience SP.

I think if we can manage a week on either side of the week at the Picos then driving sounds like an option, as we can take our time and see the sights. Otherwise yes, its sounds like too much...
T6 Pure Grey Kombi DSG 150PS on Bilsteins
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25

terryvanman
80-90 Mem No: 737

Post by terryvanman »

BUMP
any more news on this?

should we start a list of members that are thinking of going? if the numbers are good we should start thinking of making the ferry booking as its fast approaching, and does anyone know how to get the discount number we had last year?

thanks

Terry
suck squeeze bang blow, the cycle of a 4 stroke

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

We are still in, Terry, although we will have to travel a little later than I originally suggested. We now have an event on Saturday 29th September - the Global Day of Prayer at Wembley Stadium.

I will need to check it again but I think I reckoned on a sailing from Portsmouth on the Tuesday (2nd October) which means we wouldn't arrive at a central camping location until late on the Wednesday.

Would it upset people to suggest that our guided driving days are in the following week starting Monday 8th?

Garyd

terryvanman

Post by terryvanman »

garyd wrote:We are still in, Terry, although we will have to travel a little later than I originally suggested. We now have an event on Saturday 29th September - the Global Day of Prayer at Wembley Stadium.

I will need to check it again but I think I reckoned on a sailing from Portsmouth on the Tuesday (2nd October) which means we wouldn't arrive at a central camping location until late on the Wednesday.

Would it upset people to suggest that our guided driving days are in the following week starting Monday 8th?

Garyd
I don't have a syncro, I have a T5 and just come along for the trip, so I think the rest of the synco drivers will answer your question about the guide,,,don't forget there is a charge for the guide so it's best to get together on dates

GoldSyncro

Post by GoldSyncro »

All I need to know is how many, when and for how long? To give me time to organise the guide, licenses, camp site, etc I need at least 6 weeks notice.

Remember, the guide costs 250 euros per day so the more who attend the better.

Rob

terryvanman

Post by terryvanman »

just been on the Brittany Ferry website and the places and the cabins are going fast, around that time of year.

GoldSyncro

Post by GoldSyncro »

I think a quick show of hands would be a good idea....

garyd

Post by garyd »

We are still on for this but if the numbers are going to be small the cost of a guide will be prohibitive. We went there 20 years ago and have fond memories of the area.

What is the situation Rob? Is it a legal requirement to engage the services of a guide? Are there some routes we can drive without a guide? Would marked up maps suffice as in the UK? From my memory of the images of last year's trip the routes did not look to present too many significant challenges for a pair of vehicles or even a single one to cope with. Would that be a reasonable assessment?

Cheers
Garyd

GoldSyncro

Post by GoldSyncro »

There's only a single route in the Picos which doesn't require a license. It's not very difficult but it does offer really nice views. Makes for a good day trip as there's a restaurant at the end which does a good lunch and you can also park up at Franco's old hunting lodge and walk up to the top of the mountain (1,450m) and admire the view. We did it last year on our day off from the guide. Apart from that there's really nothing else.

The guys who came last year will tell you that the rural Police keep a close eye on you so going elsewhere without a license is risky. Claiming ignorance is not a good idea.

As far as I know licenses must be obtained through an offical guide. Even if I could do it myself I really wouldn't want to, the paperwork would be a complete nightmare!!

Rob

mrmule
80-90 Mem No: 10656

Post by mrmule »

My hand is up.
T6 Pure Grey Kombi DSG 150PS on Bilsteins
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25

garyd

Post by garyd »

This has been very quiet for some time. From the current posts it does not look like there will be enough drivers to make the cost of a guide anywhere near affordable. I certainly wouldn't entertain splitting £250 a day just two or three ways.

I am close to pulling out of this unless many more come forward. If so, perhaps there might be more interest next year?

Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

GoldSyncro

Post by GoldSyncro »

I'm guessing we won't get enough vans this year to make a second trip to the Picos viable. If anyone decides to come anyway they're more than welcome to pop in and say hi.

Rob