Carbon Monoxide alarm - camper

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Headley18
80-90 Mem No: 160

Re: Carbon Monoxide alarm - camper

Post by Headley18 »

I use mine as a separate detector (can't have too many :rofl ) All bases covered :ok
Pete
Member 160

A Man barely alive

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

i have my carbon monoxide detector fitted at the level my head is when im sleeping....
it only rises when in a warm air flow, then sinks...
the instrucctions for these normaly are only for fitting in a house.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

D'Squared
80-90 Mem No: 6645

Post by D'Squared »

Ian Hulley wrote:We have a Kidde alarm/detector like this one but with a digital readout.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Monoxi ... 4165b014de

Ian

seems like a good buy...do these pick up fumes from campingaz as compared to natural gas...or are the fumes the same?
1981 2.0 A/C VW T25 Devon Camper
2007 2.0TFSI VW MK5 Golf GTi 5 Dr
2015 1.2TSI VW Polo-(wifes car)

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

same mate , picks up carbon monoxide from where ever its leaking from , fridge , cooker , engine etc etc

Ian's one is well loud !!! but that is what is needed to keep you alive , no point in having a flashing light or one that changes colour after a leak , as the old saying goes your dead for a long time :cry:
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

D'Squared
80-90 Mem No: 6645

Post by D'Squared »

T'Onion wrote:same mate , picks up carbon monoxide from where ever its leaking from , fridge , cooker , engine etc etc

Ian's one is well loud !!! but that is what is needed to keep you alive , no point in having a flashing light or one that changes colour after a leak , as the old saying goes your dead for a long time :cry:

Totally agree mate..and cheers for help guys.
1981 2.0 A/C VW T25 Devon Camper
2007 2.0TFSI VW MK5 Golf GTi 5 Dr
2015 1.2TSI VW Polo-(wifes car)

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

T'Onion wrote:I see , I think it would be a cracker of a unit if it did all it says it does
OBG best email 'discover' and ask them

some more info here

http://www.talbotoc.com/on-line-turoria ... t2360.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought that I would get a clear answer as he has one fitted and would know what he installed!!!

Reading that leaflet included with that alarm you have to mount that alarm in three different positions to cover the various gases!!!!! How you do that without 3 moveable sensors I don't know - which is what I was trying to ascertain.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

thebobster
80-90 Mem No: 8953
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

Post by thebobster »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:
T'Onion wrote:I see , I think it would be a cracker of a unit if it did all it says it does
OBG best email 'discover' and ask them

some more info here

http://www.talbotoc.com/on-line-turoria ... t2360.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought that I would get a clear answer as he has one fitted and would know what he installed!!!

Reading that leaflet included with that alarm you have to mount that alarm in three different positions to cover the various gases!!!!! How you do that without 3 moveable sensors I don't know - which is what I was trying to ascertain.

I think you are missing the point somewhat.

Carbon monoxide mixes readily with air and therefore occurs at all levels.

The hydrocarbon detection ideal location will depend on which type of gas you use. For example, in my case, I cook / heat / refrigerate all with LPG. Therefore I do not need to situate the alarm to detect coal gas or methane or anything else. therefore there is only one optimum position for the sensors not three. Maybe you use multiple gas fuel types in your van. If this is the case, I would recommend that you either standardise your fuel type or buy multiple alarms.

Hope this helps.

Oldiebut goodie

I am not missing the point at all.
Obviously you haven't read the manufacturers leaflet referred to above. The manufacturer says to mount it in three different positions - I am just trying to ascertain how that is achieved from someone who said he had fitted one. If you follow the instructions, how is one alarm with two sensors apparently in one module detecting in the three places suggested?

None of this is concerning what equipment may or may not be fitted in my vehicles it is purely trying to see if that particular alarm can do what it purports to be able to cover. I don't need any recommendations from anyone as to what happens in my vehicles - I feel that you may have missed the point of my posts. :roll:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

thebobster
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

Post by thebobster »

Sorry if you feel that I have made inappropriate recommendations for your vehicles, I thought for a while you were seriously wondering about the best place to site the alarm / sensor in a vehicle.

Ok. So the sole point of your posts is to ask how a single item can be in three different places at the same time. Maybe they supply a free magic carpet or a time machine with each alarm.

Asking that sort of silly question is known as trolling.

Oldiebut goodie

You have still missed the point - I was trying to ascertain whether there are supplied separate sensors from someone that had fitted one - how on earth that is 'trolling' I fail to see.
'Magic carpet/time machine ' is far closer to trolling than any question that I asked.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

thebobster

Post by thebobster »

Og, You claim to have read the instructions. If you had done so more thoroughly, you would have seen the total contents of the kit, even down to the two screws and two rawlplugs.(It's under the main heading of "User and Installation Manual" and the sub heading of "Contents.")

When I read that list, I noticed that it did not include any remote sensors to be fitted away from the main unit. I deduced from this that there are none. Quite obvious really, and would have saved your asking the 'question'.

Also quite obvious is that the unit should be positioned to detect the specific hydrocarbon gas from which you think you may be in danger.

If you use solely methane as your fuel gas, then position the unit about 30 cms. down from the ceiling.

If you use butane, propane, LPG, or coal gas as a fuel, you should position the unit about 30 cms. up from the floor.

If you use both methane and other gases as fuel, then buy two units, one for each position. After all, they are only buttons to buy.

Regarding the detection of carbon monoxide gas, CO mixes with air and spreads to all height levels. The alarm / sensor is quite sensitive enough to warn the occupants of the vehicle in plenty of time before any ill effects occur.

Oldiebut goodie

Duh,
I posed the question before the link was posted, to someone who had installed one. All I asked was whether there were two or more sensors for the different gases as it claims to be 'dual sensor' for several gases - you seem to have taken it upon yourself to make a meal of it, throwing in extraneous criteria, telling me yet again where to mount an alarm and so forth.
So why don't you just politely butt out and leave the person to whom the original question was posed to answer without all your guff muddying the waters?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

thebobster

Post by thebobster »

Og. If you wish to ask a question specific to one person, then I would recommend using a private message rather than an existing thread on "General Chat" where it becomes public property where anybody, including me, is free to comment. The 'extraneous criteria' was only introduced by yourself when you added a question about carbon dioxide, no doubt to troll the people following the thread. With regard to what you do in your own vehicle, I could not care less. I have no interest whatsoever. None. If you burst into flames and I was standing nearby with a glass of water, I would probably drink the water. That is how much I care what you do.

The "guff" with which you accuse me of ''muddying the waters'' is only the information contained within the instructions for the alarm / sensor which you 'claim' to have read. I repeated it in my last post for the benefit of anybody following the thread. NOT specifically for you.

If you have any genuine curiosity about this alarm / sensor, then re-read the instructions or even, as has been suggested by another, write to the manufacturer.

If your only desire is to troll even more, then I expect another post on the subject from you in due course.

Oldiebut goodie

You appear to have a troll fixation as evidenced by your continual attacks upon my post - you did not post them as a generality indeed you place OG at the beginning of your posts which presumably means that you are addressing me.
Wake up to what you have posted. Learn to understand what has been posted in plain English.
That is all that I shall say as there is obviously no point in prolonging this as you do not have the comprehension to understand that which you yourself have posted. I will no longer feed your trolling posts.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

jakchick
80-90 Mem No: 11228

Post by jakchick »

hya, i just had my fridge n cooker checked by a mate who works for British gas but also has own camper! All good but he advises get a detector... about £8 from BQ. Worth it for peace of mind I reckon. He also advices put it higher than appliances, fridge...cooker.. on the ledge above. i use calor gas