early Aircooled linkage

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thebilby
80-90 Mem No: 8965

early Aircooled linkage

Post by thebilby »

Have a bit of bother getting gears after an engine rebuild. found that i had bent the gear pin that bolts to the gear box. (thats what happens when you leave the gearbox in the van at a natty angle without disconnecting the shaft!!). straightened this out and re-fitted and still having bother with it jamming in 2nd (ball pops over the selector) and finding first. then i notice that it has no bushes at all front to rear, just 2 zip ties holding it up!!

so, should it have a bush in it? and if yes where does it go?

its a 2.0 CU Aircooled.
1982 2.0 Aircooled devon pop top with custom interior
pain is temporary, trophies last forever.

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Re: early Aircooled linkage

Post by billy739 »

a pic would be best!

no bushes but on the Aircooled linkage there are no supporting external bushes.

there is a bolt on the box that acts as a pin that goes into the gear rod, it does have a bush on the end , more for a bearing effort than support.

thebilby
80-90 Mem No: 8965

Re: early Aircooled linkage

Post by thebilby »

Sorted!!

found that the early air cooled linkage should have a bush supporting it half way down the first bit of the shaft.
the problem is that this is where the fuel tank is! mine had dissapeared completely and was being supported by two zip ties!! I also made the mistake of disconnecting the linkage completely without marking anything!

Aftertrying to reset the linkage as per the Haynes manual by making up a 19mm jam to stick in the box i found that I then had 3rd and 4th and reverse.

So after a few cups of tea and a bit of thinking I disconnected the linkage again, put the gearbox in 4th (out and forward) climbed in the cab and put the lever where i wanted 4th to be and tightened everything up.

Result 4 gears and reverse and less movement than i had before.

I still need to replace the bush but while its still working i won't touch it again!!
1982 2.0 Aircooled devon pop top with custom interior
pain is temporary, trophies last forever.