dog travelling safetly....

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gazulu
80-90 Mem No: 9921

dog travelling safetly....

Post by gazulu »

evenin all :ok i want to enquire as to the safest method of carrying our 18 month old staffie, on our trips away, what with no bench seat up front its a bit dodgy, so was wondering what you guys, who take your dogs away with you, recommend :?: is there a tried and trusted method,or a safety product which could be used to make it pleasant for all whilst travelling, thanx a lot, gazulu...... :)
KEEP RIGHT ON, TILL THE END OF THE ROAD !!!!

norfolkbcs
80-90 Mem No: 9895

Re: dog travelling safetly....

Post by norfolkbcs »

We have a dog crate for our 2 collies which sits on the floor behind the front seats. We secure it with bungie straps. I actually think this is safer than in the rear area of my estate car TBH. They are very comfortable and just flop out asleep as soon as we hit the road and I know they are safe and won't jump around, or get thrown if I have to break sharply. Is also safer when the van is opened as they can't jump out.

The crate folds flat and goes either under the camper or in the front cabin when we are parked up.

Donna
Border Collies on the road

gazulu

Post by gazulu »

thanx donna :D are these crates you mention readily available from the larger type pet places ? or are they mail order items ? sounds ideal for what we want :ok thanx for your advice donna, :wink:

norfolkbcs
80-90 Mem No: 9895

Post by norfolkbcs »

We got ours from Ebay - but they are available in places like Pets at Home too.

Here's some examples - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have a 42" one that we use for 2 collies. It gives them plenty of room although we also have a smaller 36" one that would both fit into too - we just like to give them plenty of space. I think you could probably have a 30" one for a staffie as they are quite small.

Donna
Border Collies on the road

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

norfolkbcs wrote:We got ours from Ebay - but they are available in places like Pets at Home too.

Here's some examples - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donna

Yup! That's what we use for ourJack Russel Terrier. :ok It doubles up as his sleeping quarters when we use the awning, and even when folded can be used as a temporary anchor to tether him to, although I have a mental picture of a Staffie dragging a folded crate around a campsite :roll:
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

amber86
80-90 Mem No: 10627

Post by amber86 »

We also have a crate that we use in ours, pretty easy to secure, & as said before can be used as bed or folded up. It certainly keeps our staffy pup out of mischief!

If you've not used one before, recommend introducing your dog to it perhaps at home first. Make it appealing by placing fave toy in it & leave the door open until they are comfortable in it. Our pup is never shut in it at home (it is her bed in the kitchen) but she happily falls asleep in it when shut in it in the van.

Hope your staffy enjoys it too!

cosmicsheep
80-90 Mem No: 10449

Post by cosmicsheep »

We use a crate too for our springers. Doubles up as a table too so long as you don't put anything too heavy on it.
Steph(en) aka Cosmicsheep

1989 1.3 Mk2 Golf
1989 1.9 DG Tin top twin slider

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

I'm afraid our staffie likes to see out of the windows. She is not spoilt, honest.
We secure her with a short strap from her harness to the lapstrap on the rear seat. She can sit up and look out of the window, or lie down and go asleep.
The strap is too short for her to go any further.
It is all a bit new to us as we have only just got the van, but this seems to suit.

:)
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

I usually put mine on a harness and I have leads which clip into the seatbelt sockets so if I have to brake hard they have their own racing harness. :lol:
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

Alice
80-90 Mem No: 5904

Post by Alice »

We usually use a crate too, ours sleep in one at home so they are used to it. If the van is really full though we use the harness hooked onto the seat belt. They both sleep as soon as we start moving anyway.

gazulu

Post by gazulu »

thanx to all who took time to forward solutions :ok really appreciate it, its not fair to leave him at home, especially if weather and campsite are ok, heres to some pet safe journeys, thanx again gazulu.....

boatdog
80-90 Mem No: 7505

Post by boatdog »

mine usually sleeps on the rear seat when we go away with the odd wonder round, sometimes he lies between seats sniffing the air vents but never secure him, always think if we crash he will be able to escape and not be chained to a burning vee dub. then i think if i hit something he will come flying past so never know if hes better tied or not.
dont fix it if its not broke cos after you finish it will be!

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

Hmmmm......our dog seems very interested in the air vents too. I thought we may have mice or something!
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

well built a place in the back for him
Oh and this is from the other side, hes just having a nip of cava,
he just loves travelling in the back ,
mm

boatdog
80-90 Mem No: 7505

Post by boatdog »

mine stiffs the airvents to work out where he is cos every hour or so he jumps up to look out the window to see if he was right
dont fix it if its not broke cos after you finish it will be!