Is a 1.6D CS Engined T25 really that bad?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sword70
80-90 Mem No: 0

Is a 1.6D CS Engined T25 really that bad?

Post by sword70 »

Hope this is the correct section to put this in but basically i have never owned a T25 and have just purchased a 1984 Caravelle with the stock 1.6D CS Engine fitted.
The van was last used on the road in 1996 and has been kept outside ever since and surprisingly its in very solid condition with only minor work needed.

I purchased it with the seller stating the head gasket had gone hence why it was took off the road.

Before i refurb the CS engine i researched on this and other forums and looks like everyone seems to automatically swap over the CS for alternate diesel powerplants so now unsure if i refurb the CS or for the money it will take source one of the other compatible engines instead.

My daily driver is a 1972 Type 2 bay so i am used to slow but even my old bus can pull over 70mph in stock form and return pretty good mpg for a hovis loaf on wheels, will i notice much of a difference with the stock T25 1.6D.

Our t25 is tin top and will have 5 or 6 seats in the back and 2 up front so no high top or camper interior to weigh it down.

I was going to post this in alternate engine but figured i would like to hear peoples opinions on what to expect of our bus in stock form before making our minds up which direction to go in as for the the sake of say an extra 5mph top speed or slightly better up hills i am unsure the effort and cost out weighs the swap for us as i would like to keep the original gearbox if possible to keep costs down.

Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing your opinions on this.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Re: Is a 1.6D CS Engined T25 really that bad?

Post by camper »

This is my own opinion of a CS 1.6 engine having run &owned one for 10 years.When i got the tin top T25 the engine leaked & smoked but returned good mpg performance was a little slow but i got used to it.I had a reconditioned engine fitted and had 9 years of trouble free motoring.Others say there slow okay i carnt disagree but i could drive at a steady 55 60 mph on motoways hills would slow me down but this didnt bother me.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

60 as a top speed scares me I would like the option to get to 70 for joining fast moving traffic on a motorway from an uphill slip road slotting into a stream of trucks that are all doing 55 and your not doing 40 yet is a scary thing that requires other drivers to be aware and pull out for you, I dont like having to rely on that. Also maintaining speed on a hill can keep you out of trouble with trucks not having to overtake you and generally causing congestion with 2 lanes being taken up when one would do, It creates more leapfrogging and more likely to be an accident that you have either had a part in causing or be involved in. This is from having an underpowered bay window van but I can imaging the experience is similar. For general pottering about I'm sure its fine.
member 1168

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

1.6 cs in action:

keep it stock, slow and steady. (you don't have to use motorways).
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

sword70

Post by sword70 »

:-) love the pics.
Decision has now been taken out of my hands.
In between rain today i have managed to take the head off the engine and it looks like being off the road since 1996 with head gasket problems aint done it any good at all.
One of the bores is siezed solid and has major rust in it, scraped a bit off and bore is severely pitted :(
I also managed to clean up the engine number and it looks to be a CR engine not a CS as i was expecting so would have had a few more hp.
Back to the drawing board i guess

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

1.6 cs in action:
notice the lack of motion blur in those pics! :lol:
member 1168

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Stick a VW AGG (2 ltr Benzin) motor in it, you've got all the necessary engine mounts etc.

We've just done this to a mates 1,6D, now he cruises at 120kmh with a top end of +160kph.

The AGG motor is easy to find and cheap.
Excepting the exhaust manifold It's a plug and play transplant.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

sword70

Post by sword70 »

Titus A Duxass wrote:Stick a VW AGG (2 ltr Benzin) motor in it, you've got all the necessary engine mounts etc.

We've just done this to a mates 1,6D, now he cruises at 120kmh with a top end of +160kph.

Was that fitted to the stock 4 speed 1.6D box or did your mate have a different box fitted?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Hacksawbob wrote:
1.6 cs in action:
notice the lack of motion blur in those pics! :lol:

Not with my daughter taking the photos - she's a bit of an expert with moving objects. There would have been if I had taken them - especially as I would have had to take my hands off the steering wheel. The second one is travelling downhill (steep) through the windshield - no way would I be able to do that one whilst driving. :)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

sword70 wrote:
Titus A Duxass wrote:Stick a VW AGG (2 ltr Benzin) motor in it, you've got all the necessary engine mounts etc.

Was that fitted to the stock 4 speed 1.6D box or did your mate have a different box fitted?

Ah forgot about that key bit - we also slapped a 5 speed box in at the same time.
You could run with the 4 speed box and bigger wheels/tyres.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

camper wrote:This is my own opinion of a CS 1.6 engine having run &owned one for 10 years.When i got the tin top T25 the engine leaked & smoked but returned good mpg performance was a little slow but i got used to it.I had a reconditioned engine fitted and had 9 years of trouble free motoring.Others say there slow okay i carnt disagree but i could drive at a steady 55 60 mph on motoways hills would slow me down but this didnt bother me.

Totally agree with Camper it is a good reliable economical engine, mine lasted 8 years with the same problems however I found a 1y from an old golf and have not looked back :D
1y Tin top rust collector.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

kit wrote:
camper wrote:This is my own opinion of a CS 1.6 engine having run &owned one for 10 years.When i got the tin top T25 the engine leaked & smoked but returned good mpg performance was a little slow but i got used to it.I had a reconditioned engine fitted and had 9 years of trouble free motoring.Others say there slow okay i carnt disagree but i could drive at a steady 55 60 mph on motoways hills would slow me down but this didnt bother me.

Totally agree with Camper it is a good reliable economical engine, mine lasted 8 years with the same problems however I found a 1y from an old golf and have not looked back :D
I did the same with my present van running a 1y &not looked back.On a thread some time ago i mentioned i had a petrol gearbox fitted when i had the 1.6cs engine reconditioned.I dont no the gearbox code only to be told it was for a WBX engine.In my own experiance the engine pulled fine and i used to tow a raclet trailer tent from surrey to cornwall every year i owned the van .First&second gear on that gearbox seemed like a diesel box but 3rd&4th was higher suitable for the more powerfull WBX engine.Only problem was there was that plymouth express motor way hill on the torquay&plymouth route that 1.6 cs engine just crawled up it using 1st&second gear alternatvely.But overall i found it easy to drive with that gearbox .The present T25 camper i have has a 1y engine and a DK code gearbox fitted.

sword70

Post by sword70 »

Thanks for all the info, very helpfull and pretty much made my mind up to scrap the knackered CR engine and go 1Y.
I have seen some 1Y's on ebay and have the CR as a donor for sump, engine mounts etc, would i be right in assuming that i need the 1Y diesel pump or can i use the CR one? seems like most of the cheaper 1Y's are bare engine so no pump etc fitted

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

Hi All,

First post - thought i'd nudge this thread :)

I was wondering how people have got on with the 1Y plus 4 speed box? - what's the cruising speed, economy and hill climbing like compared to the 1.6d?

I have no immediate plans to change the engine, but would like to have a plan in mind if it does go pop.

My next question is how do I work out which version of the 1.6d I have? - only just put a deposit on a T25 devon conversion 1.6d. I've only had a quick look at the engine, and a test drive - current owner doesn't know much about it, other than that it he hasn't had a single issue with it for the 18 months he's owned it - I know it's not a turbo, but that's about it!

OK also - what's a reasonable amount of time for the glow plugs to warm up on a cold (british "summertime") engine? This one took probably about a minute, which seemed a long time - would new glow plugs help?
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion