Intermitent powersource for coolbox

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Intermitent powersource for coolbox

Post by NicBeeee »

Hi

I have just finished buiding our sun tracking solar panel sytem that fits neatly onto the fiamma bike rack, I would like to be able to run as much as possible from the panel. I have currently got a pretty standard 12v coolbox that is perfectly adaquate for keeping our beer/food cool. I does not need to be on constantly as it can be switched of for a couple of hours and it still remains cool inside. My question is if anyone has got a good idea for being able to switch the power source off/on intermitently to enable less juice to be used.

Cheers
Nic
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Intermitent powersource for coolbox

Post by kevtherev »

Why not use a temp control switch or thermostat in the cool box.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

NicBeeee

Post by NicBeeee »

Hi Kev

I have toyed with the idea but I guess I was a little concerned with drilling holes into the cool box. Perhaps it is the only way or at least the easiest. Oh and thanks for your campsite recommendation on fun places to camp. Just back from having a last minute short break and a great time at East Fleet farm, Dorset. I too would highly recommend the site, clean, quite and friendly.

Cheers
Nic

1988 1.9 DG

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Our cooler box clicks in and out so it must have themal control already....as for powering a cooler box off a solar panel hmmmmm, it would need to be a big panel and permanently sunny. Cooler boxes start at 4 amp draw and go up to as much as 8...thats 50 to 100 watts at 12 volts....how big was that panel again?

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

NicBeeee

Post by NicBeeee »

Red Westie wrote:Our cooler box clicks in and out so it must have themal control already....as for powering a cooler box off a solar panel hmmmmm, it would need to be a big panel and permanently sunny. Cooler boxes start at 4 amp draw and go up to as much as 8...thats 50 to 100 watts at 12 volts....how big was that panel again?

Martin

Hi Martin

Perhaps I didnt explain myself correctly, I am not pulling anything directly from a panel, the panel is just keeping my leisure battery topped up. My coolbox is 47 W and my panel is 28 W. Obviously if I can half the time that the coolbox is left on then my things remains chilled and so do I. I am not storing any meats in there so a minimum temperature is not so important. I am currently looking into making a 12v timer switch that can be programmed to turn off and on at several intervals a day.

Cheers Nic

1988 1.9 DG

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Sounds like you are on top of the problem and have recognised the implications of permenantly powering a cooler box.
Your idea certainly sounds feasable and should give the battery a fighting chance and still keep your beer cool..

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx