any paint sprayers here? i need help

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bennwedge
80-90 Mem No: 3040

any paint sprayers here? i need help

Post by bennwedge »

hi , just wondering if there is anyone with the knowledge about cutting and polishing paintwork. i have recently finished spraying my bus in direct gloss . all the doors have come up with a nice glass finish so they wont take much work. just a light cut with g3 and a good buff. but some of the body is quite bad with alot of over spray .its not smooth at all. this evening i have been rubbing the front panel down with 1200 then 2000 and then cut it with g3 and its come up quite nice but its taking me all night to do 2.5 feet. am i missing a trick here ? there must be a quicker way to getting a glass like finish. i really dont like the sound of spending my bank holiday weekend getting nowhere. any help would be much appreciated . thanks ben

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: any paint sprayers here? i need help

Post by Plasticman »

This may not help but..........................., my first job in a garage as a lowly apprentice was to T cut a car by hand that was suffering orange peel that bad that I know how it got its name, I swore that I would I would learn to spray a shine out the gun,
likewise I have seen filler put in as bad, moral is . he who applies, makes good. :rofl

Back to yours, I can wet flat a complete car with 12-1500 W or D in a couple of hours and then as your doing straight T cut is enough, dont bother with the cheapo brands they dont work the same.
my opinion anyhow
mike

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

What sort of paint system have you used?

2 pack, or celluose or a synthetic perhaps?

dirtygertie
80-90 Mem No: 4501

Post by dirtygertie »

Husband Nigel (Painter for 18 yrs) said to use P2000 or P3000 abranet DA discs.....they may be quicker but might also clog up if you've got a lot of overspray; failing that its good old elbow grease

hope this makes sense (cos it doesn't to me!!! :lol: )
Karen x

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun. -hmmmmm

1982 2l Aircooled with a name!

BETTYBRICK
80-90 Mem No: 7643

Post by BETTYBRICK »

Hello

Im a sprayer and 2000/3000 should do the trick (with water). I take it your doing it by hand ? if so you should invest in a polisher (mop) with a sponge mop head that will bring it up a treat !!!!
You can get polishers from machine mart and places like that. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... isher-230v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at that price not to bad. I wouldnt go much cheaper you get what you pay for !!! :ok

Hope that helps

Leigh
1981 Holdsworth Villa 2.0 A\C converted to 1.9 TDI 90 bhp

bennwedge
80-90 Mem No: 3040

Post by bennwedge »

Well I managed to get a polishing mop and have used it and it looks great thanks for all the advice . I'm not finished yet but it will take alot less time with the polisher