I do not like the look of this :(

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldjets
80-90 Mem No: 6334

Re: I do not like the look of this :(

Post by Oldjets »

Thats an Autosleeper Trooper pop top isn't it? Same as mine - which no doubt has the same rust lurking underneath :roll:
Good old Autosleepers - they just drilled, cut, bent, and screwed into the bodywork with no painting or rustproofing at all. Amazed my roof has lasted this long to be honest.

Welding in a new top front section sounds like the way to go - would be good to see more pics as this progresses. Best of luck with it.

Oldjets
1990 Autosleeper Trooper

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

Thanks for the info on the model mate I wasn't sure.

Anyone know where I can get replacement rubber seals for this roof?

And also any links, or a guide as to how to get the pop top roof off? Is it a tough job?

Thanks
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

Bert2
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Bert2 »

Don't want to put a downer on it but my roof looked exactly the same at the top edge, expect to have to replace some of the bottom as well, once the holes have got as big as that water runs down the inside of the seal and sits in the bottom corners rotting away, it took removing the windscreen and lifting the roof to see the full extent of the damage . I fabricated the sections I need but it would have been a lot faster to use second hand sections if I could of got hold of them. when you have repaired them don't use pop rivets front and back as they are not needed, just use a good layer of sealer such as sikaflex once set its solid remember to attach the outer rubber seal before sticking down, I also used Sikaflex to stick and seal this seal to the pop top. any help I can be ask away. good luck :ok

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Thanks berty,

Any idea how many hours work it is for a welder? Was your pop top the same as mine? take long to remove?

Bert2

Post by Bert2 »

Most of my lining inside of the van had been removed but it took a few hours to remove all the screws on the inside then cut the sealant for around the side channels, it takes 2 people to lift the roof I used wooden props on the inside of the van to prop up the roof while cutting out and welding, I did it slow time over a few weekends last winter its not a quick job if you have to cut out fabricate and then weld should be a lot quicker if you have sections from another van. I also had to replace both side channels and replace sections along the side as well which I did using long narrow strips of sheet you can not see areas under the roof so its quicker as there is not problems finishing off the welded areas afterwards. Remove your front seats and cover the dash as I made a mess of my seats and ended up having to replace. All done now and should last for ages, by the way you have not mentioned how the rear roof is above the rear door the roof is attached in the same manner and my roof at the rear was as bad as the front. Happy welding :ok

bmouthboyo

Upper windscreen metal holes

Post by bmouthboyo »

Sorry for not replying in a while, I was gearing up for the MOT. PASSED :ok (7 years off road)

I have asked around on forums and rang Autosleeper regarding how to remove my poptop. Seems it is not an easy job and with the vague information I have found so far sounds like I peal back the carpeted sections from the upper inside of the van and remove the screws, then cut the sealant all the way around. Tricky as the roof sits right up to the gutter rail so no real angle to get a flat blade in from outside.

I have sourced the complete section that needs to be replaced and welders are ready, but a bit reluctant to start trying to remove the roof at this time of year as I want to use it for the summer, and I know how jobs can quickly escalate.

I also noticed slight dripping in heavy rain at the rear corner of the van so expecting similar issues there. Roof needs to come completely off, but when?...

I was toying with the idea of filling as much as I can and extending if possible the rubber poptop seal so rain mainly misses the area that's rusted onto the window rubber. Then in winter I will begin the roof work and prep the van for roller painting.

Can anyone advise a good value body filler or should I use fibre glass? any tools I need or any advice about stopping the leaks until winter?

Thanks

Bert2

Post by Bert2 »

Just read your thread and I have been there last year. yes you have to remove the carpet around the inside of the van you will find the roof bent up around the wooden frame of the roof and screwed with lots of screws, I expect there is a hardboard plare above the cab where the roof clip down is to hid these screws in that area. I used a sharp knife to cut the sealant in the gutter and found it peals out if pulled out hard enough to lift the roof up while welding I screwed some wooden battens to the frame and used a jack to lift it up one each end. If you roof is leaking at the rear you can bet it will be exactly the same the pop rivets used rot it away. dont use them to stick it down sealant has moved on and a good layer of both ends will stick it firmly down. when welding make sure you cover everything up as well as the glass in the doors as weld splatter sticks to glass. while the windscreen is out give the area a good rust treatment in areas not replaced and repaint it should then last another 30 years! good luck :ok

PS dont leave for too long as water finds its way into the inner wings and starts to rot out the arches from the inside and if you have lagging in there its worse as it stays wet for ages.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Did you re carpet the area after or did you manage to reuse the pulled back bits? How did it look after?

How long did it take you to work the poptop fully loose? and since you resealed has it been water tight?

Would 2 fairly strong lads be able to lift the roof off or is it a block and tackle job?

Thanks for help so far, great help

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Ok so going to have to get the roof off in the next few weeks for welding, and roller painting in may!

I really need to know if this roof is secured in any hidden way inside. Reason being is the carpet trim is glued to the van up at the area the pop top and roof meet so a git to pull back.

Also on the autosleeper forum a guy with a autosleeper high top said his was only secured with sealant and rivets front and back.

Anyone shed any light?

Thanks

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

best advice is to check 'Metalmicky's' thread for Kevtherevagon
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

Bert2

Post by Bert2 »

Im sure by the looks of it if it was only secures front and back with the pop rivets, as the sealant has probably degraded over the years your roof would have flipped off ages ago! I would have a look around the inside for screws as you are going to have to part the pop top from the van anyway and this means pulling back the lining.
:ok