Underneath - what's the best thing to use?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mattydubster
80-90 Mem No: 9609

Underneath - what's the best thing to use?

Post by mattydubster »

Hi people

Well, the 1st of May sees me bringing out the old Westy from her long hibernation in the container for a 'glorious' spring & summer, and as I'm starting to get into some maintenance, have noticed that the whole of the underside could do with a protective recoat of something. But that's just it, I don't know what the best thing is to put on it. It is generally very sound underneath, so I thought I'd possibly just waxoil it, but the sills are looking like they have the potential for alot of rust to develop. Could someone point me in the right direction for some rust inhibitor or similar?

Regards

Matt

riffboy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Underneath - what's the best thing to use?

Post by riffboy »

As far as rust inhibitor goes, the guys on here swear by Vactan (has to be said in a superhero voice apparently)

I was once told by a vw guy to clean the underside of my bug up, and using a paint brush, coat it in grease (any multipurpose stuff) then over the top of that put underseal. I dont know if this is any good or legal for that matter, as i never got round to doing it but maybe someone will know more on it than me!!

When the last ounce of truth has fled, nought is left but the sum of lies.............

mattydubster
80-90 Mem No: 9609

Post by mattydubster »

Mmmm 'Vactan' it is then! Yeah that sounds good to me, and I do like the idea of the grease too

Cheers Riffboy

riffboy

Post by riffboy »

no worries man, hope you get it sorted.
When the last ounce of truth has fled, nought is left but the sum of lies.............

AuldJock

Post by AuldJock »

Yo Riffboy!

Two things you need to know about grease (exploding common myths):

1) It absorbs moisture, so should never be used as a rustproofer or insulator(that's why you use vaseline on battery terminals, not grease)... when it goes opaque in the tub, get rid!

2) There's absolutely no point trying to cover grease with anything... it'll just peel straight off!

Vatcan is good stuff, just as good is Waxoil by Hammerite.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

I thought Vactan is a rust-converter like Jenolite ?

Sounds to me like you want a proper underseal, like black Waxoyl, Dinitrol 4195, Tetrasyl tetrashutz. These are best got in 1l tins and applied with a shutz gun and compressor, but can be painted-on. You'll easily use 3-4 cans on a van. Heat cans in hot water first to make sure the stuff flows well.

PS. If you can see scabby heavy rust, don't think covering it in underseal will help much, you should get rid of the rust and re-paint before putting on underseal.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

riffboy

Post by riffboy »

AuldJock wrote:Yo Riffboy!

Two things you need to know about grease (exploding common myths):

1) It absorbs moisture, so should never be used as a rustproofer or insulator(that's why you use vaseline on battery terminals, not grease)... when it goes opaque in the tub, get rid!

2) There's absolutely no point trying to cover grease with anything... it'll just peel straight off!

Vatcan is good stuff, just as good is Waxoil by Hammerite.

Ah right! I didn't know that. Well i did say i wasnt sure!! Good job i never tried it then.

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

This is the stuff you want (after you rust treat it)

http://www.therustshop.com/shop/index.p ... t&catId=50
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Would agree with any of the suggestions above - all except thick claggy underseal. Awful stuff as you don't know whats going on beneath. On mine, the chassis was amazingly clean and solid but noted very very small traces of rust along sills so cleaned them up, coated them with VACTAN (obligatory loud american superhero voice) and brushed these small sections with coat of rustoleum (has a rust inhibitor in it). Finished with waxoyl but guess you could use underseal for last bit if you wanted.

The oldest method is previously used motor oil applied by brush. many classic car owners still use this method and it does seem to work but either way, sort the rust/rot first.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

riffboy

Post by riffboy »

CovKid wrote:Would agree with any of the suggestions above - all except thick claggy underseal. Awful stuff as you don't know whats going on beneath. On mine, the chassis was amazingly clean and solid but noted very very small traces of rust along sills so cleaned them up, coated them with VACTAN (obligatory loud american superhero voice) and brushed these small sections with coat of rustoleum (has a rust inhibitor in it). Finished with waxoyl but guess you could use underseal for last bit if you wanted.

The oldest method is previously used motor oil applied by brush. many classic car owners still use this method and it does seem to work but either way, sort the rust/rot first.

I have heard about the old engine oil thing before, but i have been told that it's illegal now. Not sure on that one though, wouldn't surprise me though