Odd noise from OSR wheel

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Team28crew
80-90 Mem No: 5770

Odd noise from OSR wheel

Post by Team28crew »

Hi folks
Friday night I noticed an odd noise coming from the OSR wheel. It sounds like metal grinding against somthing as the wheel turns, its not constant as though something on the wheel is catching somthing else as it rotates, so got home and checked out the wiki and previous posts, Saturday jacked up rear of van hand brake off and turned the wheel by hand and I could hear a quiet scraping sound. I have no play in the 9-3 plane and a very small amount in the 12-6 plane about 1-2mm when cold. There is no knocking sound and no play in the drive shaft going left to right, up and down and round and round but it does move in and out(I think its meant to though). Next I took the wheel off and the Drum to see if there was a twig or stone wedged somewhere but there wasn't, there was quite a build up of brake dust which I cleaned off and everything looked ok(as far as I could see anyway) so I refitted the drum after checking inside for anything odd, It slid on ok and nothing was catching or scraping, refitted the wheel and went for quick drive. At first there was no noise and I thought it was sorted but after about 5mins of driving around town it was back and louder.

Any ideas on what it could be?????

Cheers, Mark
1986 1.9DF LeisureDrive Hi Top LPG'd by Gasure

dazzzer1

Re: Odd noise from OSR wheel

Post by dazzzer1 »

not sure about the noise but the drive shaft should move in and out..............
Based in the industrial north...well...manchester way

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Hi Mark,
sounds like it could just be the drum rubbing on the backplate. Just check all round the drum for clearance, and if it's rubbing bend backplate away gently. Can also happen after having the drum off, when you get muck and rusty bits trapped between drum and plate. Just clean out and refit.

Cheers
Andrew
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

If the drum is rubbing against the back plate then check the play in the wheel bearing. Does this do it more going round L/H or R/H bends ? Have you taken the drum off ? Has a brake shoe hold-down pin rotted through the back plate ? Make sure it's not the 'automatic' adjuster ratchet spring that's broken (I had this several years ago)

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

terryvanman
80-90 Mem No: 737

Post by terryvanman »

I had this on my syncro and it turned out the big nut in the centre needed tightening,,,this meant the drum needed a bit of a grind so the split pin can go around to the next hole.....I must say that this was done in Jacks garage and they used a scaffold pole to tighten it
suck squeeze bang blow, the cycle of a 4 stroke

Team28crew

Post by Team28crew »

not sure about the noise but the drive shaft should move in and out..............
Cheers Dazzzer1, just wasn't 100% sure

sounds like it could just be the drum rubbing on the backplate. Just check all round the drum for clearance, and if it's rubbing bend backplate away gently. Can also happen after having the drum off, when you get muck and rusty bits trapped between drum and plate. Just clean out and refit.

Thanks Andrew, I did check everything was clean before I put the drum back on and I'll check the back plate tomorrow when I get home, I've had to come up to Edinburgh today for work, I tell you their all self self self where I work ! no thought for the T25 owners amongst us.

If the drum is rubbing against the back plate then check the play in the wheel bearing. Does this do it more going round L/H or R/H bends ? Have you taken the drum off ? Has a brake shoe hold-down pin rotted through the back plate ? Make sure it's not the 'automatic' adjuster ratchet spring that's broken (I had this several years ago)

Ian

Ian, all the springs looked ok when I compared them to the Haynes pics, I'll have a look at the hold down pin tomorrow afternoon when I can get the manual out and check. It seemed to get worse when turning right iirc and I only took the drum off see if I could find out what was making the noise. I did check for play in the wheel but how do you check the bearing itself?

It seemed strange the there was no noise for about 5mins then it came back. Suppose I better go and find some scaffold pole now

Thanks for the pointers guys.

Mark

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

My money's on the play in the wheel bearing.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

Team28crew

Post by Team28crew »

My money's on the play in the wheel bearing.

Yep it looks that way (I think) I checked everything within my limited capabilities and can't find anything wrong so if it is the bearing then I don't have the tools to do it. The vans going in for its LPG reset soon so Im going to ask Mr Shaw to have a look for me.
Thanks for the help though guys.

Cheers, Mark

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

No worries

Just tell Steve what you suspect before you turn up with it

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

Team28crew

Post by Team28crew »

No probs spoke to Steve on the phone, getting a full service aswell while its in, top man is Steve.
Thanks again