door locks....

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Martin & Lynn
80-90 Mem No: 8463

door locks....

Post by Martin & Lynn »

Does anyone know if the barrels can be repaired when worn? or is the best plan just to replace the whole handle and lock assembly? thus having yet MORE keys.

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Re: door locks....

Post by Red Westie »

In most cases the handles can be re-tumbled for one key operation but as you point out the housing itself does wear so you find they work but have movement and so are less secure and can 'snag' in operation......really depends on just how worn the housing is as to the decision to re-tumble or replace the handle.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

Martin & Lynn

Post by Martin & Lynn »

when you say re-tumbled do you mean a new barrrel fitted? the problem i have is that the lock is so worn that any flat object can turn it without even being inserted much.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Martin & Lynn wrote:when you say re-tumbled do you mean a new barrrel fitted? the problem i have is that the lock is so worn that any flat object can turn it without even being inserted much.

Do you really want to tell everyone how easy it is to get in your van?????? The thing thats hapend to yours, I bet, is over the years any grease or oil in the barrel has gone hard and kept the pins stuck in the unlock, remove them soak um in penetrating oil/petrol thinners etc etc clean it up well, including all the very small springs and it should work loads better!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Martin & Lynn

Post by Martin & Lynn »

thanks, and its okay its not kept here, ill try your idea when i get time.

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

jamesc76 wrote:
Martin & Lynn wrote:when you say re-tumbled do you mean a new barrrel fitted? the problem i have is that the lock is so worn that any flat object can turn it without even being inserted much.

Do you really want to tell everyone how easy it is to get in your van?????? The thing thats hapend to yours, I bet, is over the years any grease or oil in the barrel has gone hard and kept the pins stuck in the unlock, remove them soak um in penetrating oil/petrol thinners etc etc clean it up well, including all the very small springs and it should work loads better!

And remember to distmantle the barrel carefully, as those little springs are a nightmare to find once they pop out of the barrel

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

My locks were worn to buggery. Massive gouges in the barrel bore. So I changed them for new, retumbled the locks to my original key and now at least they need a brick to get in

Lucily at the time I won the football card at work so I splurged on genuine handles rather than JK chinese cheese

http://www.customandcommercial.com/deta ... tegory=372

They weren't that dear at the time but then again JK handles were under £20 and not over £35 like they are now

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/cab-doo ... 11032.html

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Re-tumbling the locks....

The tumblers are flat brass wafers that have slots cut in them, the slots in the tumblers are of different lengths and determine together with the shaped cut key, the degree they move when the key is inserted. Re-tumbling to ONE KEY, is a case of swapping these brass wafer (tumblers) so that when the key is inserted the brass tumblers lay flush and the barrel as a whole can then turn to unlock the door.

I've got a box of tumblers so if you can get the new handle to me with the lock/key I would be happy to do this..... FOC of course.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

ianboydsnr
80-90 Mem No: 8542

Post by ianboydsnr »

Red Westie wrote:Re-tumbling the locks....

The tumblers are flat brass wafers that have slots cut in them, the slots in the tumblers are of different lengths and determine together with the shaped cut key, the degree they move when the key is inserted. Re-tumbling to ONE KEY, is a case of swapping these brass wafer (tumblers) so that when the key is inserted the brass tumblers lay flush and the barrel as a whole can then turn to unlock the door.

I've got a box of tumblers so if you can get the new handle to me with the lock/key I would be happy to do this..... FOC of course.

Martin

maybe you could post some pictures if you get to do it, I cant even seem to work out how to remove the lock from the handle and one of my doors no longer works, despite thorough cleaning of the lock