Road trip to the north of Scandinavia

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sebastian S
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Road trip to the north of Scandinavia

Post by Sebastian S »

Part 3 - day 9-12

Lots of work these past weeks, about time to post the rest of the trip

From Lofoten I went back over the border to Sweden again. I wanted to visit a place called Abisko in the swedish mountains.

I was met with this view. This well known mountain formation is called Lapporten ("the gate to Lappland"), and hovers above the village of Abisko.

There had been some snow fall the night before I arrived, the first this year I believe.

Abisko canyon. Lovely place for a photographer.

The next day I woke up with a mixture of snow and rain, and about 2 degrees. The plan had been to do some hiking, but instead I decided to drive to the city Kiruna and visit the iron ore mine there. You take a bus down into the mine where they have built a museum and information centre. Well worth a visit If you're in the area. It's a weird feeling being on a road that far underground!

Some more snow on the peaks when I got back to Abisko.

Next day the weather was a bit better and I headed for this place. It's a valley called Geargevággi, which is Saami (the language of the Sami people in northern Scandinavia) for Valley of stones. It's a fitting name. The valley is covered with large stones, left behind by the ice sheet.

Same valley.

Before I left Abisko I took the chair lift up to a mountain nearby called Njulla. The views of the lake Torneträsk and the mountains is amazing. The small village is Abisko. The weather was perfect again, ~10 degrees and sunny.

Back in Norway again.

Nice road through the a valley called Signaldalen.

Nice camp spot in Skibotndalen, near the borders of Finland and Sweden.

Mmm.. Syncro, sunset and mountains…
Sebastian
1992 Syncro Multivan

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

What a stupendously beautiful part of the world. I am quite envious and inspired!
It's on my very long list of places to see by T3

VWlewis
80-90 Mem No: 2852

Post by VWlewis »

Well I know why this is the village named Å ... Translating to English - Awe, it is amazing! It just takes your breath away! Thanks for sharing Sebastian

VW Fan :D Learned to drive in a T2, then drove a T1, later a T4, then a T5 (and a few Audis and Passats)
Now a proud T3 Caravelle GL 2.1 DJ WBX owner: "Dora the Explorer" .. by my reckoning, a T15 Driver!
Dr T15 Speaks!

hotpod
80-90 Mem No: 7802

Post by hotpod »

hey sebastian s, you missed out riksgransen. its the most northerly ski resort in the world ( and recently featured in bbc's top gear programme) its on the border between lofoten and abisko.
i only mention it because i went snowboarding there last year and it was like being on the north pole. we drove down to narvik and herjangsfjorden one afternoon and i vowed to go back in the camper as soon as i can. i am hoping finances and time will allow me to attend the artic circle bus meet next year. it is a beautifull part of the world.
1992 Syncro 16" 4 door doka 1.9na diesel
1990 Syncro 16" high top Westfalia 1.9tdi

taigagreen
80-90 Mem No: 9831

Post by taigagreen »

hotpod wrote:hey sebastian s, you missed out riksgransen. its the most northerly ski resort in the world ( and recently featured in bbc's top gear programme) its on the border between lofoten and abisko.
i only mention it because i went snowboarding there last year and it was like being on the north pole. we drove down to narvik and herjangsfjorden one afternoon and i vowed to go back in the camper as soon as i can. i am hoping finances and time will allow me to attend the artic circle bus meet next year. it is a beautifull part of the world.

You are very welcome to the artic circle bus meet I´ll even show you some pretty exclusive snowboarding spots, but you´ll have to walk. Riksgränsen is awesome though!

Sebastian, you almost make our part of the world look too good with your high quality photos. Then again...

Run through google translator for your reading pleasure: http://www.vwbus.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23219
Now
88 Westfalia syncro AAZ i/c
91 Caravelle syncro DJ
89 doka syncro DJ
89 Westfalia California JX
84 Reimo Camper 1.9 WBX
90 Caravelle Coach JX
98 Sharan 110hp TDi