rear bearing trouble

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

muley

rear bearing trouble

Post by muley »

i have been getting my old girl ready for the M.O.T and found alot of play in the rear wheel bearings, so i have taken the rear hubs of removed the old one and fitted new ones that i have bought from Ebay, the trouble is that when i fit the outer bearing and then try to slip the sleeve into it the bearing jams up tight ?
i have removed the bearing and fitted the old one just to check i have not done something wrong and that fit fine so my question is do they start tight but then are ok ?
i showed my father when he came round as he could not get what i had said over the phone, my father has worked on heavy machinery all his life but when i showed him he said "that he had never seen a bearing pinch in like that " and too was stumped, he did say that he would go home and return tomorrow with some brass bar to see if it free's the bearing up ?
have you ever come across this people ?
help and advice welcome :?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: rear bearing trouble

Post by Aidan »

what brand bearing ?

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Hung Weng :rofl or maybe the premium Ling Tung universal :ok
mike

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

did the inner race actually go in when the bearing was out??
the correct bearings have a "designed in" extra clearance to allow for heat expansion.. a std "non clearanced" bearing wont last very long on a run... it will get tight get much hotter and eat itself

There are a lot of cheap and nasty bearings about..

getting a quality kit from Brickwerks is always a much safer bet... and often cheaper in the long run..

muley

Post by muley »

The brand of bearing is Optimal, they are made in Germany and on the whole look to be well made until you try and fit the outer race and sleeve :shock:
i have been in contact with VW Heratage today and they are sending me out a set in the morning,the seals x4 and the outer race and sleeve are genuine VW parts the inner ball race are Topran also made in Germany so with any luck they should be fine and fit ( happy days )
i will be contacting the chap on Ebay tomorrow as to resolve the issue, my Father thinks he may not have them back as they have been in and out a couple of times so i will see and if i have too let Ebay know the problems i have had, hope it does not have to get to that though :roll:

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Topran are just a boxer of parts from non oem sources

The inner 6207 C3 is a standard bearing - SKF is as good as it gets
the outer is a special combining the dimensions of two different standard bearings originally FAG or Timken Torrington

I have the Torrington in stock, only 40 sets left on the shelf at Timken I was advised, won't be remade

Baxter sells FAG kit - top gear

JK do a Febi boxed kit - they seem to have a deal with Febi

muley

Post by muley »

had the bearings from VW heritage and the went straight in (happy days )
so it's of for the m.o.t tomorrow so wish me luck :D