Bonnet aerial replacement/fitting

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RobClu
80-90 Mem No: 8324

Bonnet aerial replacement/fitting

Post by RobClu »

Evenin' all.
We had a rubber, flexible aerial on the left hand side (driver's side) of the front panel/bonnet and it is FUBAR so I've bought a new extendable one from Brickwerks. My question is, how do you get behind to fit it - do you have to take the dashboard off or is there a secret?
Thanks

dj biz r
80-90 Mem No: 8022

Re: Bonnet aerial replacement/fitting

Post by dj biz r »

evenin,when i did my ariel i swapped like for like it was a case of poping sterio out disconecting lead then unscrewing two screws outside on mountings then jiggily pull out through body work,then fed new one in whole untill i could get it then fed it under dash over colum until it was in right area then plugged it in hope this makes sense,but no i didnt take dash out.just make sure its not snagged.good luck.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

you will have to take the dash binnacle off (lhd)to get access in to tighten the nut on the back but no need to take the lights out or anything, the hole is in the body for the retracted bit to slide down into

RobClu
80-90 Mem No: 8324

Post by RobClu »

New aerial in place now. Unscrewed the binacle instruments but no need to unplug everything. Also took grille and LHS headlamps off to get to bottom side of hole where aerial pokes through. Bit of a fiddle and we needed to file the hole a bit wider to get the new unit through but it fits well and looks good. Sounds a lot better now too!