Kid's entertainment - DVD Player/Laptop?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Yozza
80-90 Mem No: 6195

Kid's entertainment - DVD Player/Laptop?

Post by Yozza »

Ay up,
Our next mission is to camp at St Ives. Which at a steady 60mph is gonna be a looooooonnnnng trip down for me and our 3 year old. :( I'm considering a portable dvd player but the distance from the little uns rear bench to the rear of the passenger seat is too far for a 7" display. I'm also playing with the idea of trying to mount our laptop on the rear of the seat which is a 15" display, or a drop down dvd player.
Has anyone else come up with the same problem? Any one got any good ideas on how to get round this problem?
Cheerz
T25 '90 2.1i 16" Doka
JCB 3C MkII
Thwaites 6000

Team28crew
80-90 Mem No: 5770

Re: Kid's entertainment - DVD Player/Laptop?

Post by Team28crew »

I have a headunit that plays DVDs and the plan is to fit a flip down monitor say 12-15", the Mrs can then change the discs and pause etc without climbing into the back or the little uns dropping the remote or fighting over it. The only problem would be that we have to listen to the bloody kids DVDs but Im thinking up a solution to that one......... ear plugs !
1986 1.9DF LeisureDrive Hi Top LPG'd by Gasure

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

19 inch LCD TV with built in DVD player strapped to the back of the drivers seat and running off the leisure battery. :pimp

Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

Team28crew
80-90 Mem No: 5770

Post by Team28crew »

19 inch LCD TV with built in DVD player strapped to the back of the drivers seat and running off the leisure battery. :pimp

Pimp my ride Westwood 8) That looks ace mate, any pics of the swimming pool :lol:
1986 1.9DF LeisureDrive Hi Top LPG'd by Gasure

72BUG

Post by 72BUG »

Team28crew wrote:

Pimp my ride Westwood 8) That looks ace mate, any pics of the swimming pool :lol:

That only happened once when I was too drunk to find the portaloo. :oops:

:lol:
Martin.

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

i have a 10.2" flip down tv dvd....mounted in the roof panel on my westy.

I have recently invested in some IR headphones for my little girl....

she thinks its ace...i can listen to the radio ....not Ice age for the 100th time
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

72BUG wrote:19 inch LCD TV with built in DVD player strapped to the back of the drivers seat and running off the leisure battery. :pimp

I hope you don't force your kids to watch that kind of drivel- it's psychological abuse :rofl

72BUG

Post by 72BUG »

silverbullet wrote:
72BUG wrote:19 inch LCD TV with built in DVD player strapped to the back of the drivers seat and running off the leisure battery. :pimp

I hope you don't force your kids to watch that kind of drivel- it's psychological abuse :rofl

Not a problem as I don't have kids and the dogs don't mind.

Actually it was the crappest DVD I could find because I didn't know if the telly worked at the time and I didn't want to risk putting a decent DVD in and not getting it back out again. :lol:
Martin.

edoh
80-90 Mem No: 3974

Post by edoh »

what brand of player - (special attachments required?) - and if you have the time -
how did u wire up to leisure battery?

edoh
:)
Owner of a red T25 fixed hi top campervan - colour - spikey red - petrol - water cooled - 1.9 dg engine rhd - 1990 g reg n still going strong!-

T-3PO
80-90 Mem No: 4766

Post by T-3PO »

I gotta admit I really like the idea of a drop down screen but at the moment we've an old-ish laptop which sits on top of the buddy box and is held in place with a strap. Power, when needed, comes via the leisure battery and a cheap 12v to 18v adaptor available from ebay/maplin though I can't see why it won't run off an inverter? And with all the other uses we have for the laptop plus the ability to hide it or take it with us when the vans parked up.

... one other thing, we run VLC media player as you can turn the volume up louder than most of the other DVD software.
We're doomed!

Yozza
80-90 Mem No: 6195

Post by Yozza »

Thanks fellas for all the replies, pics and tips. Infa red headphones sound like a saviour, my little un likes watching dvd's until she has learned every line of the story (it started with Bee movie and we're currently on Thomas the Tank engine).
T25 '90 2.1i 16" Doka
JCB 3C MkII
Thwaites 6000

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

T-3PO wrote:I gotta admit I really like the idea of a drop down screen but at the moment we've an old-ish laptop which sits on top of the buddy box and is held in place with a strap. Power, when needed, comes via the leisure battery and a cheap 12v to 18v adaptor available from ebay/maplin though I can't see why it won't run off an inverter? And with all the other uses we have for the laptop plus the ability to hide it or take it with us when the vans parked up.

... one other thing, we run VLC media player as you can turn the volume up louder than most of the other DVD software.

i have a 10" digital tv/dvd/media flat screen mounted in the camper above the bog seat, does the llot, wasnt cheap but looks ok.

for audio, i use one of these Image
cheap as chips and sends the signal to the stereo for free!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-FM-Trans ... 4a9b4f9d75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

T-3PO
80-90 Mem No: 4766

Post by T-3PO »

Yozza wrote:Thanks fellas for all the replies, pics and tips. Infa red headphones sound like a saviour, my little un likes watching dvd's until she has learned every line of the story (it started with Bee movie and we're currently on Thomas the Tank engine).

Had to stop our little'un from watching Bee Moive ... it taught him bad habits ... you know the bit where the girl and the bee are slapping each other round the face ... hmmm, junior thought it was a good idea to try it for real!!

Thomas is his current obbsession, much safer apart from all the crashes!

Anyway steering away from kids TV talk, sort of, we've got one of those FM transmitters, top piece of kit, the only problem is I don't really fancy driving along to the sounds of Thomas the Tank Engine blasting out of the vans speakers!!
We're doomed!

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

T-3PO wrote:
Yozza wrote:Thanks fellas for all the replies, pics and tips. Infa red headphones sound like a saviour, my little un likes watching dvd's until she has learned every line of the story (it started with Bee movie and we're currently on Thomas the Tank engine).

Had to stop our little'un from watching Bee Moive ... it taught him bad habits ... you know the bit where the girl and the bee are slapping each other round the face ... hmmm, junior thought it was a good idea to try it for real!!

Thomas is his current obbsession, much safer apart from all the crashes!

Anyway steering away from kids TV talk, sort of, we've got one of those FM transmitters, top piece of kit, the only problem is I don't really fancy driving along to the sounds of Thomas the Tank Engine blasting out of the vans speakers!!

thats what the fader is for......... turn it all to the back and blast the little darlings with the rubbish they whine for.......we also used a cheap autoscan transistor radio to receive the signal from the fm sender, so they put it on the back seat with them to hear it, with or without headphones......
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

martin.how have you fixed the tv to your seat..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"