What is required to fit a DK box into a diesel?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

What is required to fit a DK box into a diesel?

Post by gaz f »

Hi All,

I've sourced a DK box to stick in my 1.6D and having done a search on here and the Brickyard I am a little confused to what else is required to do this conversion.

I know the bellhousing and input shaft have to come off my own gearbox but what other parts do I need to source?

Is it a case of the complete linkage from an air cooled petrol? The rear mount came with the DK box, does this need to be modified at all as I read somewhere that it needs to have a bit welded to it from the original diesel mount??

Help please, I was wanting to fit this in the next week. :?

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Re: What is required to fit a DK box into a diesel?

Post by billy739 »

presuming you have a 4 speed gearbox already ,

you can drill your 1.6d mount to fit the Aircooled gearbox mount bolts.

you need the rear section of linkage which will still need to be modifiyed to fit ( cut/weld)

the front gear rod is different on the Aircooled at will not fit your van

if you have a 5 speed you will need the complete 5 speed linkage including stick and you will need to cut/weld or source the gearbox mount to fit.

i hope your van is an empty panel van as the 1.6d will probably struggle to pull the van as they are tall ratios! i presume you are going 19td at somepoint soon!

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

Yep, it is completely empty at the minute and it is going to get a 1Y when I finally find one for a decent price over here. I just wanted to put the box in first to make sure it is ok. I should have mentioned it is a 4 speed that is in it at the moment!

The DK did come with part of the linkage still attached to it. For want of a more technical term, it has the part attached that has 2 white 'balls' on a short rod. So I need to source the rear part of the linkage rod that goes to the front of the van still??

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Done this conversion to my diesel T25.I used the aircool linkage but welded a extra 54 mm to the rod from the gearbox .The front gear change rod will fit but there is a screwed aluminium plate on the steel box under the gear stick tunnel .This needs to be removed.The DK gearbox engine mount has an extra 54 mm added in length to where it would bolt on to the diesel rubber flex mounting plate.I took a few picts of the linkage where it goes through the bush on the front member but unable to post due to the Muchos web site down.The front rods have a cup&ball joint for the aircool linkage and the angle its fitted to the splines to the rod by way of going through the bush on the chassis is important to be able to select all the gears.The bush position where front rod goes through the cross member on the aircool model is diffrent to the diesel .It selects all the gears smoothly .

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

Thanks for that camper. Better get looking for the linkage now! :ok

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

gaz f wrote:Thanks for that camper. Better get looking for the linkage now! :ok
If you PM me with your email address i could send a few picts.